Shoulder shot with bow ? - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Bow Hunting
Bow Hunting Discuss Bow Season topics

Old 10-26-2011, 02:27 PM

If the arrow did go in 6" could be a high single lung hit no blood trail. If the buck was pushed at all after the hit he could go a really long ways looking for either water or security before expiring. I hope you locate him quickly. If you do find him dead great caution must be made about consuming any meat. Personally, I would tag him out and discard the meat just to be on the safe side, unless you find him very warm and not bloated. Sorry for the graphics, just a cautionary note on meat safety.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2011, 06:16 AM

I cant add any to the replies above me. It sucks but it has happend to most of us.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:18 AM
Unregistered

Default Sucks I did it tonight also

31 yards slight cornering towards me. Hit the shoulder. 8" of penetration. Very little blood and that's all
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 12:19 PM
Unregistered

Default high shoulder hit

I drilled a buck from high up at 13yrds. Caught him on a downward angle high on the shoulder and a little back - the arrow stuck in him. The arrow broke off 6-8 inches up and there was blood for another 3". That kind of penetration had to have hit the chest cavity and a lung - right?

One good splatter of blood on a bush and a drop or two just past that - THEN NOTHING. 4 people looking thoroughly. I was shocked.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:41 PM

I did the same thing two years ago in PA a bit more broadside but hit the shoulder blade center and tracked that buck for several hours. Saw him the next night feeding in a cut corn field with a limp. Didn't get any reports of him being shot in gun season. My guess he didn't make it. It happens if you bow hunt long enough.
Old 09-29-2012, 05:02 PM

Most butchers will tell you when they process deer they are always on the lookout for broadheads in the meat.
It happens to most of us at some point so I guess it's not too uncommon to find one now and then when butchering..

Old 09-30-2012, 11:16 AM

So true Bruce We butcher our own & we are ALWAYS looking for them
I know one butcher that got sliced pretty bad on one not pleasent to find the hard way

"If George Washington was asked for his I.D. do you think he just wipped out a quarter?"
Steven Wright
Old 09-30-2012, 10:36 PM
B&C 140 Class

Yes check water holes etc. when a deer his hit and bleeding it causes them to dehydrate from hemmorageing and they will head to water. Could be he bleed out on the inside. sometimes they or hard to find.I got one last season and I walked my it within 10ft several times,and was standing within 8ft of it when my buddy says there it is look left and down. it went down at the edge of some bushs and no belly white showing. could only see it from an angle. Have you seen any buzzards flying around?
Old 11-03-2012, 10:39 PM
Will/Bow Hunter

Thumbs up Apparently, in real-

Apparently, in real-life few underwriting selectiones are so easy or clearcut. When QuotesChimp make an application for insurance you reach the underwriting desk having a mixture of features that'll be thought to be possibly favorable (showing a low hazard to the corporation) or unfavorable (showing a high-risk to the corporation). The underwriters will think about your whole record account and choose whether, in general, you present an ordinary threat to the corporation (typical), a high-risk (sub standard), or a low jeopardy (favored). Favourite threats provided and will soon be rapidly approved the most favorable cost. Typical threats provided and will undoubtedly be recognized the conventional cost. Sub Standard threats may be declined, or approved in the problem which they spend an increased cost or, at times, they take lesser rewards.

Last edited by Jayna; 03-03-2014 at 07:52 AM. Reason: HGFcsQduuBkxPVZ
Old 11-26-2012, 12:27 PM
Scrub Buck

Buddy of mine shot a buck in the shoulder with a muzzy, got about the same penetration and it killed the buck.

I would go to the last spot of blood and start doing circles, 10 yards, then 20, then 30.

Take as many people as you can, if you can get a dog, beagles are good.

good luck, possible he survived