Buck Sign/Rut - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Bow Hunting
Bow Hunting Discuss Bow Season topics

Old 10-18-2011, 11:10 AM
B&C 100 Class

Default Buck Sign/Rut

How close is the rut? Here in semo we are starting to see some signs that it is getting closer. Having some rubs and scrapes starting to show up. The smaller bucks are still together but the bigger bucks has done split up. Anyone else seeing good sign? It normally gets real good around halloween weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2011, 11:25 AM
B&C 180 Class

Hey there SEMO,,, up here in north central MO the bucks are starting to take interest in the does. No breeding yet, but some chasing. I walked through my 50+ acres of woods on Saturday afternoon and found zero rubs and zero scrapes. I couldn't believe it. SO, this year, it's going to be a challenge... I'm going to have to try different tactics and different strategies.
How's the weather down there? Up here it's finally starting to cool off. Today (Tues) it's dreary out with temps in the low 50's. Supposed to be cold every night this week with possible frost every night. I'm waiting for it to get cold out so that I can start hunting during the mornings too. I'm not a believer of hunting when it's warm in the morning. The deer don't seek out that warm sun as much.

To answer your question... here in MO the rut can start as early as the first week of November all the way through the 20th or so of November. Of course, our rifle season is set up to hit the rut during prime time... our firearm season here in MO is November 12-22.

Good luck to you man!
Old 10-19-2011, 11:10 AM
B&C 100 Class

Tator,
Here in SEMO, it has been warm until yesterday( tuesday). It rained all day yesterday til about 4:00. I got to hunt yesterday evening and seen a 6pt. It got within about 10yds. I got a real good look at him. I passed in hopes that my boy will get to shoot a buck this year. The bucks here seem to start chasing hard around halloween weekend. It is going to be cold here the rest of the week with frost on friday and saturday. The deer should be moving!
Old 10-19-2011, 11:21 AM
B&C 180 Class

yeah I'm just hoping we get more rain this fall than what we had this past summer. It's been one of the dryest years that I can remember. haven't been out hunting since last friday night, but looking forward to going out this fri morning and sat morning. Temps up here are supposed to be the coldest tonight (wed night) and tomorrow night. Right around freezing.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:56 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by semohunter View Post
How close is the rut? Here in semo we are starting to see some signs that it is getting closer. Having some rubs and scrapes starting to show up. The smaller bucks are still together but the bigger bucks has done split up. Anyone else seeing good sign? It normally gets real good around halloween weekend.
brother im deployed now but ive heard the same thing about smaller bucks stickin together and bigger boys startin to head out on there own. havent heard anything about them chasin does yet
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 06:30 AM

in PA the rut is usually Nov 6-12 or so for the peak.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:18 AM
B&C 100 Class

Where I hunt in Wis it is full blast on Halloween threw Nov 10th
All the bucks even the small ones are running solo for the past week so its getting real close. Ill be out Wed
Good luck
Old 10-24-2011, 05:13 PM
Scrub Buck

I was out in my stand over the weekend and i had a big 8 come in and chase some does checking to see if they were ready and i had a couple other bucks come in a chase does around none breeding though, its getting real close!!
Old 10-28-2011, 05:49 AM
Scrub Buck

In South Carolina the bucks are starting to show signs with scrapes and rubs but we haven't seen any chasing as of yet. I have had some small bucks (spikes) walking around while does are in the area but haven't had any big boys showing up very much. I figure the full swing will be in a couple weeks as the weather is changing and the leaves are falling.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:08 AM
B&C 100 Class

Here in Semo, the smaller bucks are now starting to split up. I seen a small 6 point sat and sunday. It walked right by my tree both days. He was alone both days. I have seen him and a 4 pt together all fall.