Deer Hunting Forums banner

new climber

4K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Hunting Man 
#1 ·
Well my son came through with a pretty good deal. For $80.00 I get a new left over Summit Viper, includes the lower camo skirt. I've never used a climber but there are a couple of places in PA where I can see using one of these. I hope an old dog can learn new tricks :w00t:

#4 ·
I have gotten some real restful sleep on those doldrums days when only the hunters are in the field. but your right, they are that comfortable. and you wont fall asleep in a tree stand unless you have the utmost sence of security.

#6 ·
Pardon my stupidity, but what's the difference between a climber and a normal tree stand? I'm guessing the climbers are the ones you have to "walk" up the tree with your shoes wedged on the foot base??? if so,,, HECK NO FOR TATOR! Those things would scare the CRAP out of me. As far as other tree stands, they scare me enough with all the movement they have. I'll stick to my ladders thank you very much!

#7 ·
In my 1st outing of the season, I wasn't really paying much attention to detail so here's a tip you won't want to forget that I learned the hard way.... make sure your tree doesn't get bigger as it goes up. Usually I start my climber at a slight angle so it can level out as you go up... well this particular tree happened to have a spot where it got larger, and at that point, I was stuck because instead of leveling up, my platform and seat section were at a severe angle.

Size up the tree and your approximate climbing height. If you climb high, it's a good idea to start at a slight angle. But if your tree has a pot belly about 15' you might be breaking a sweat and making a lot of commotion.

#8 ·
Straight tree with no limbs. Set stand on tree in slightly elevated positon. Like above poster said most trees get smaller going up. Tie your top half of stand to bottom half. (you dont want it to slip and lose it.) Slowly walk yourself up. Just you. Leave your firearm unloaded on the ground with a rope tied to it and connected to your stand.

Here it is easier for you to watch..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.