1st and 2nd hunts of the season... - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Bow Hunting
Bow Hunting Discuss Bow Season topics

Old 09-26-2011, 09:12 AM
B&C 180 Class

Default 1st and 2nd hunts of the season...

Well I was fortunate enough to get to go out hunting both Friday and Saturday evening. Fri evening I sat on stand in the woods and didn't see anything except for some young turkeys, a couple of ground hogs, and one pesky squirrel that about got shot with a bow. All in all, it was nice to be back in the woods for the first time this year. For what it's worth, I did hear two deer blowing about 300+ yds away.

On saturday night, I sat on a cut corn field and saw 3 does and 3 fawns all of which were about 150+ yds away. Thought one of the does and her twins were going to come my way, but they caught a smell of something and ran.

I'm just really down this year b/c there aren't any decent bucks on my property. It's hard to get in a good mood and go hunt when you know there's no bucks worth shooting and the only way there will be is probably a month and a half away when the rut hits.
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2011, 09:41 AM
B&C 120 Class

Maybe there all just camera shy - you never know :)
Old 09-26-2011, 10:08 AM
B&C 100 Class

dont get down expand youre options. try hunting different property if its posted dont be shy ask.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:34 AM

Hang in there.. I hope it improves for you.. Those pesky squirrels can get on my nerves..
Old 09-26-2011, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tator View Post
Well I was fortunate enough to get to go out hunting both Friday and Saturday evening. Fri evening I sat on stand in the woods and didn't see anything except for some young turkeys, a couple of ground hogs, and one pesky squirrel that about got shot with a bow. All in all, it was nice to be back in the woods for the first time this year. For what it's worth, I did hear two deer blowing about 300+ yds away.

On saturday night, I sat on a cut corn field and saw 3 does and 3 fawns all of which were about 150+ yds away. Thought one of the does and her twins were going to come my way, but they caught a smell of something and ran.

I'm just really down this year b/c there aren't any decent bucks on my property. It's hard to get in a good mood and go hunt when you know there's no bucks worth shooting and the only way there will be is probably a month and a half away when the rut hits.
I feel that way every year when I hear you guy's talk about all the deer you see in those big states but in Nh you just get used to not seeing a ton of action
& they probably smell tator chips

"If George Washington was asked for his I.D. do you think he just wipped out a quarter?"
Steven Wright
Old 09-26-2011, 12:14 PM
B&C 180 Class

I wish I was eating tator chips... both nights i forgot to eat anything before going out and I was starving when i got home!
I'm not asking for a huge mature buck or anything, but it sure does make hunting a little more enjoyable when there's at least one shooter out there to chase. sometimes I truely wonder if hunting would be more fun w/out the trail cams. Last year I got my hopes WAAAY up for that huge 160+ in class buck that I NEVER saw except on cams, but I did harvest my nice 10 pointer though.... Heck I don't know
Old 09-26-2011, 12:48 PM
B&C 120 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by tator View Post
I wish I was eating tator chips... both nights i forgot to eat anything before going out and I was starving when i got home!
I'm not asking for a huge mature buck or anything, but it sure does make hunting a little more enjoyable when there's at least one shooter out there to chase. sometimes I truely wonder if hunting would be more fun w/out the trail cams. Last year I got my hopes WAAAY up for that huge 160+ in class buck that I NEVER saw except on cams, but I did harvest my nice 10 pointer though.... Heck I don't know

Yeah tator, Saw a nice 8 pointer last year hanging out in our woods.
I seriously think that's the only reason that kept me going. The thought of a nice big buck keeps, I think most of us hunters going.

Good Luck!!! You'll get him one day.

Last edited by Noah Racette; 09-26-2011 at 01:07 PM.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:08 PM
B&C 140 Class

It seems like my hunting is never really much good until after the first muzzleloader season. I live/hunt about 2 miles from a public hunting area, and my idea is that hunters flood in there and push the deer my way. Point is: Maybe things will change as the season goes by. If not...even a bad day of hunting is better than a good day at work!
Old 09-28-2011, 06:38 PM
B&C 100 Class

I dont get to see the big ones until the rut either man it would be nice to have wall hangers grazing at shooting hrs but it just doesnt happen for me
Patience my friend

PS you can always fling a meat missile at a baldy for luch meat and to get it out your system
Old 09-28-2011, 07:15 PM
B&C 160 Class

The start of the season its just nice to get out on a stand
and be out there
If a big thumper comes by its even better
We got 4 months to geter done