Deer Hunting Forums

Deer Hunting Forums (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/)
-   Bow Hunting (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/bow-hunting/)
-   -   Young Bow hunter any tips or advice? (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/bow-hunting/8179-young-bow-hunter-any-tips-advice.html)

Decilles02 09-15-2011 02:21 AM

Young Bow hunter any tips or advice?

Hey everyone, i'm new to the site and kind of new to bow hunting. I hunt in the south eastern part of Alabama and i hunt with a Hoyt Power Hawk. Somehow i managed to take 2 last year with my bow and 1 with my gun. But this year i'm going to try and hunt with my bow all year. Is there any tips or advice anyone could give me? Some of my relatives have 60 acres on the side of mountain and that's where I've been hunting the past 2 years but i have yet to see a big buck. Is there a difference between hunting the side of a mountain and the flats? any tips or advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you and God Bless!

ShaneHallum 09-17-2011 10:50 PM

Try to hunt the ridges, or if you can look up a TOPO map of the property. You can isolate the fingers in the woods. Look for gullies to hunt.

Mature bucks will walk the path of least resistance. You have to think like the deer, if you wanted to move from point A to point B... what path would you take to make it easiest on you, and still be in good cover?

Other than that, look for food sources, here in Tennesse you better look for accorns now and Persimmons toward the later part of the season. When it gets cold out the deer will have to eat, and 90% of the plants are dormant at the time. Try to find the food source and you should find the deer. Hope this helps! Shane

BruceBruce1959 09-18-2011 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Decilles02 (Post 59231)
Hey everyone, i'm new to the site and kind of new to bow hunting. I hunt in the south eastern part of Alabama and i hunt with a Hoyt Power Hawk. Somehow i managed to take 2 last year with my bow and 1 with my gun. But this year i'm going to try and hunt with my bow all year. Is there any tips or advice anyone could give me? Some of my relatives have 60 acres on the side of mountain and that's where I've been hunting the past 2 years but i have yet to see a big buck. Is there a difference between hunting the side of a mountain and the flats? any tips or advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you and God Bless!

Greetings from Vermont, Welcome to the club.

"but i have yet to see a big buck"

Big bucks are excellent game and the most challenging to harvest but so aren't small doe's.
You've already harvested deer so you know how to hunt, my advice would be to stay focused on hunting deer and dont allow yourself to get trapped into that "hunting for the "BIG" buck mode".
The way I see it is I'm going to hunt Deer as long as God allows me to, that includes Doe's as well as Bucks but If I get on the tracks of a big buck and manage to harvest him that's just another deer story to add to the others.

"Is there a difference between hunting the side of a mountain and the flats?"

To me there's no difference at all, move slowly, monitor the winds direction and stay alert. Aiming and shooting are the same, make no adjustments for shooting up hill, down hill or flat land shooting, just be sure you know your target and beyond.

Good Luck Hunting and If a Big Buck comes along I wish you all the best on harvesting him.

Hunting Man 09-18-2011 03:47 PM

I'll take a slightly different approach here. Archery hunting hillsides and valleys I believe is different because your scent travels differently. In a valley in the cold your scent tends to hold tight to the ground and linger in the valley. Hillsides tend to see more upward air current movement as the air warms up in the morning then the reverse in the evening as your scent travels more downward as the air cools down. On hills try not to hunt the very bottoms nor the tops. Find the cuts/trails that come off the top down and set up about 3/4 up the hill on a good intersection of a couple of trails. Finding scrape and rub lines is a plus for rut hunting bucks.