Deer Hunting Forums

Deer Hunting Forums (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/)
-   Bow Hunting (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/bow-hunting/)
-   -   Small Bucks (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/bow-hunting/8165-small-bucks.html)

WIbowfanatic 09-11-2011 03:40 PM

Small Bucks

Im a 16 year old in wisconsin and i Love bowhunting, just cant get enough of it. My dad and grandpa bow hunt so i get some advice from them but sometimes if feel like we do things wrong and because of it I see tons of forkers and spikes but cant find the king of the woods we see on the cameras. theres a big swamp next to our property that we arent allowed to go into and im sure its just hard to coax the big bucks out of there at times. Any tips for either this problem or just how to have even more fun and success than before would be fantastic.

shoot2kill 09-13-2011 12:01 AM

That's awesome you get to bow hunt with your dad and grandpa. Don't get discouraged because the big bucks aren't showing up, they are called "king of woods" for reason. The more time you spend in the woods the more your odds increase of getting to see that big buck. Maybe try waiting until you get a wind blowing into that swamp and use your favorite scent to try and lure a buck out... I will be in WI Oct. 29-Nov. 4 bow hunting in Lakewood on my Grandpa's farm... Good luck this season!

Hunting Man 09-13-2011 12:59 AM

nothing wrong honing your skills on the smaller bucks. Besides those big boys didn't get big by being dumb. Hunt the rut, that swamp should produce a nice buck.

semohunter 09-13-2011 10:55 AM

During the rut, u may try some doe estrous scent in combo with a deer decoy. You may try a buck decoy to bring the big buck out of the swamp to run his competition off. I think it would be worth a try. Good luck.

VolHunter 09-27-2011 12:13 AM

Big bucks got to be big by being SMART! But there are somethings you can do to try and lure them in/trick them:

1. Hunt all day long, or even go into the woods and hunt from about 10am-2pm. Believe it or not, deer pattern hunters just as much as we do them.

2. Be sure to take some scent control precautions

3. During the rut use some doe estrous and doe bleats to try and coax him out, or you could use dominant buck urine and try rattling

I shoot trophies 09-28-2011 05:23 PM

Where are you hunting in Wis. I hunt in pierce county and it has to have the most big bucks I have ever seen in 150 acres of land.
Theres some good tricks to get them out.
Ill be right back and give ya a few

I shoot trophies 09-28-2011 06:30 PM

First thing you do is in mid oct go looking for the first scrapes. When you find a scrape make a mock scrape right over the top of it (using sticks and then hang a dripper with the scape scent on the branch above the scrape. You will get all sorts of bucks visiting the scape it drives them crazy and they will eventually start coming out during the day.
Once halloween comes change the drippers to doe estrus.
Make sure to hang a camera right at the scrape
This will for sure get the bucks work up and the drippers only drip during the day so they will be looking to catch the other buck in the act and hopefully you can have a chance at him.
And Oh ya try to hunt all day halloween and the following week thats when I see the big ones mid day

Right now mineral plots will help as well
Remember where theres does there will be bucks later big bucks
Hope that helps