Deer Hunting Forums banner

New here and new to bow hunting

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  gfdeputy2 
#1 ·
Hi everyone I'm new to the site, and new to bow hunting. I've hunted with firearms for Awhile now and just decided to get into Archery. My father and grandfather used to run an archery shop so they have everything I need so I'm lucky enough to get into bow hunting farily cheap. I got a Pearson Stryker from my grandfather. Anyone know if this is a good bow? And I'm really enjoyig the site and glad I joined, thanks everyone.

#4 · (Edited)
Welcome to DHS. Bow hunting compared to rifle hunting is different.. to me bow hunting presents more of a challenge then rifle hunting does. theres alot of factors that have to be taken in. I prefer bow hunting over rifle hunting myself. As for you bow, any bow can be good, but main thing to remember is the shooter is what makes the bow good..not just in sights, arrow rests, stablizer, and silencers. You can have top of line everything, but if you cant hit anything with it...what good is the bow...so before you spend a bunch of money on assc. I would just start off with basic cheap stuff....whisker bisket....basic three pin sight....cheap stablizer...but for sure get some string silencers on your bow...and then as you get really good with your bow, start spending the money on your bow sights, rest, etc...or even upgrade to a different bow.hope this helps out...if theres anything else..just ask

#6 ·
Welcome to DHC and bow hunting. Like you, I got back into rifle hunting a few years ago and this will be my 3rd year bow hunting. I enjoy bow hunting so much I rarely take my rifle out any more, I use my bow during our rifle season. Haven't got anything with the bow yet but I've taken it on some wonderful hikes. I've even had occassion to wing a $15 arrow into the woods. I'm good friends and hunting partener with gfdeputy2, we're going to NY again this year. My advise given my short bow hunting experience, practice...practice...practice. And it's all forgotten the first deer you get in your sights. Have FUN, I always do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.