Deer Hunting Forums banner

Deer hunting from a blind

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  WIBowhunter 
G
#1 ·
I'm new to bow hunting in WI and was curious about blind hunting vs tree stand hunting. Is it preferable to be in a tree or is blind hunting OK? Looking to hunt on public land where stands can't be mounted and left but have to be mounted when you show up to hunt. Seems a lot easier to stay on the ground? Are there safety concerns? Thoughts?

THANKS!
Randy

#2 ·
I'm new to bow hunting in WI and was curious about blind hunting vs tree stand hunting. Is it preferable to be in a tree or is blind hunting OK? Looking to hunt on public land where stands can't be mounted and left but have to be mounted when you show up to hunt. Seems a lot easier to stay on the ground? Are there safety concerns? Thoughts?

THANKS!
Randy
Blind hunting is fine w/ a bow. most all of my deer have come from the ground & not even with a blind. first bow kill last year just sitting on the ground
the one disadvantage I find from a blind is limited shooting angles. get a blind w/ 360 degree shooting capabilities

#3 ·
You have to think safety all the time no matter how you hunt. With any type of elevated stand you really need to use some sort of fall restraint system. For hose who build those sky boxes with heaters and lazy hunter recliners you wont need anything except something to keep you awake. :zzz: For ground hunting look over the area you are hunting for possible stray bullet path potential, falling dead branches from above in winds. Ground blinds do keep you out of the rain, snow, winds. Elevated stands do give you a far better look at your hunting area and disperse your scent farther down wind. Most deer, excluding Michigan deer, rarely look/think for danger from above, so with good camo on you should have deer right around you without their knowledge that you are there. The type of stand is all personal preference and physical ability. I like ladder stands, their safe, easy to put up and come in just about any sane height you wish to hunt from. Human scent control is the key to what ever type of hunting you do. Good luck and happy hunting.

#4 ·
I prefer hunting from a tree stand. I like the view from above. You can see the deer most of time before they get to you. I normally hunt 20 ft or higher. I like the idea that any scent you may put off will be possibly pushed out of your hunting area by the wind. I have hunted in blind but if possible, I like hunting from stands. Both have their pros and cons.

#5 ·
I don't know what your trees are like where you are hunting, but if you have some large straight trees you may be able to use a climber. I have several trees in different locations trimmed so that I can put my climber up in different spots as the deer move around through the season. I like this as it lets you change it up and not be so predictable. If you have the right trees I would clear several spots and just carry a climber in to whichever spot is best for deer movement or wind direction on any particular day. These climbing stands now are very easy to operate, and you can get as high as your trees allow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.