Changing it up a little - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Bow Hunting
Bow Hunting Discuss Bow Season topics

Old 08-09-2011, 03:39 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default Changing it up a little

After having two does jump my string last year I have decided that I need to do something to quiet my bow down a little. I never had this much trouble with the compound, but the recurve is slow enough that I guess it gives them time to duck the arrow. I did a little research and found out the light arrows I have been shooting may be part of the problem. When I went to buy them the "bow guy" said that I want the lightest arrow possible to shoot from the recurve since it doesn't have the power of a compound. I went along with this and got some arrows in the 8 gpi range. These turn out to be good target arrows, but not so good for hunting. so I ordered a set of carbon express Pyledriver arrows (10.4 gpi) and some Muzzy Phantom 125 gr. broadheads. Also got a new string and set of silencers. Hopefully all this stuff will help quiet down the recurve a little. Should also help with penetration being a little heavier. I can't wait for the brown santa to show up so I can retune the bow and get ready for the season opener. My wife spotted a great shooter buck in a very hunter-friendly area the other day, so I am counting the days till I can hunt that bruiser.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:40 AM

With all that work and dough your putting into it I hope it works like a charm for you. To me anyone that can stalk and shoot with a recurve is an excellant hunter in my buck. Most folks do not have that kind of patience.

Good luck with the bruiser!
Old 08-15-2011, 10:01 AM
B&C 140 Class

My stuff is supposed to be here today! I also set up an observation stand in the general area this buck is using. If I ever get a free evening I am going to take the video camera out to hopefully get some footage of the buck she was talking about.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:38 AM

Cool deal.. It would tear me up if I actually seen a bruiser during an observation only type sit before the season started.. Talk about motivation to get up on opening morning.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:38 PM

flexj, my t/d recurve was rated at 212 fps 58lb at 31" draw and at the time was pretty fast. I can't shoot anywhere near that #'s now but a good reference for recurves. They aren't fast but I never had a deer jump the string with one, however, the old Bear bows I've started collecting are noisy compared to the t/d custom bows I had. Right now bows with a 45# draw at 28" gives me around 50# with my draw length and all I want/can shoot. I know those #'s put the arrows well under 200 fps. What arrows are you shooting. I shot Easton classics 2219's which shot very nice out of the recurves. I never shot any carbons and may be too light weight??? I still believe in mass weight from recurves equals penetration at low speeds. Probably old school thoughts but it worked back then. Good luck with the stick bow!
Old 08-16-2011, 08:14 AM
B&C 140 Class

HM, that is exactly what I am thinking. I can't remember the numbers off the old arrows, but I do remember them weighing in at about 8 gpi. These new arrows weigh 10.4, and I am stepping up to a 125 gr. broadhead from a 100. my bow pulls 50# at 28". My draw length is somewhere around 30" so I will guess somewhere around 53-55lb pull at that draw length. Hopefully i will get some time to try out this new setup and see if it is any better.