Deer Hunting Forums

Deer Hunting Forums (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/)
-   Bow Hunting (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/bow-hunting/)
-   -   Changing it up a little (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/bow-hunting/8019-changing-up-little.html)

flexj 08-09-2011 03:39 PM

Changing it up a little

After having two does jump my string last year I have decided that I need to do something to quiet my bow down a little. I never had this much trouble with the compound, but the recurve is slow enough that I guess it gives them time to duck the arrow. I did a little research and found out the light arrows I have been shooting may be part of the problem. When I went to buy them the "bow guy" said that I want the lightest arrow possible to shoot from the recurve since it doesn't have the power of a compound. I went along with this and got some arrows in the 8 gpi range. These turn out to be good target arrows, but not so good for hunting. so I ordered a set of carbon express Pyledriver arrows (10.4 gpi) and some Muzzy Phantom 125 gr. broadheads. Also got a new string and set of silencers. Hopefully all this stuff will help quiet down the recurve a little. Should also help with penetration being a little heavier. I can't wait for the brown santa to show up so I can retune the bow and get ready for the season opener. My wife spotted a great shooter buck in a very hunter-friendly area the other day, so I am counting the days till I can hunt that bruiser. :yes:

buckfever 08-15-2011 06:40 AM

With all that work and dough your putting into it I hope it works like a charm for you. To me anyone that can stalk and shoot with a recurve is an excellant hunter in my buck. Most folks do not have that kind of patience.

Good luck with the bruiser!

flexj 08-15-2011 10:01 AM

My stuff is supposed to be here today! I also set up an observation stand in the general area this buck is using. If I ever get a free evening I am going to take the video camera out to hopefully get some footage of the buck she was talking about.:ph34r:

buckfever 08-15-2011 10:38 AM

Cool deal.. It would tear me up if I actually seen a bruiser during an observation only type sit before the season started.. Talk about motivation to get up on opening morning.

Hunting Man 08-15-2011 08:38 PM

flexj, my t/d recurve was rated at 212 fps 58lb at 31" draw and at the time was pretty fast. I can't shoot anywhere near that #'s now but a good reference for recurves. They aren't fast but I never had a deer jump the string with one, however, the old Bear bows I've started collecting are noisy compared to the t/d custom bows I had. Right now bows with a 45# draw at 28" gives me around 50# with my draw length and all I want/can shoot. I know those #'s put the arrows well under 200 fps. What arrows are you shooting. I shot Easton classics 2219's which shot very nice out of the recurves. I never shot any carbons and may be too light weight??? I still believe in mass weight from recurves equals penetration at low speeds. Probably old school thoughts but it worked back then. Good luck with the stick bow!

flexj 08-16-2011 08:14 AM

HM, that is exactly what I am thinking. I can't remember the numbers off the old arrows, but I do remember them weighing in at about 8 gpi. These new arrows weigh 10.4, and I am stepping up to a 125 gr. broadhead from a 100. my bow pulls 50# at 28". My draw length is somewhere around 30" so I will guess somewhere around 53-55lb pull at that draw length. Hopefully i will get some time to try out this new setup and see if it is any better.

flexj 08-29-2011 10:53 AM

Got all my stuff the other day and I finally got a chance to start putting things together. One thing I didn't realize is that there are right and left side feathers...I was lucky enough to get both sets wrong. I guess I need to make another order. I guess that's why I couldn't get the feathers to lay right on the shaft...right helical orientation with a left side feather doesn't work. :bag:

I did get to see the buck my wife was talking about though, and he definitely needs to be on my wall. Hopefully he will hang around for a while. I got a couple pics of him, but it was too dark to see him in the pics. :thumbdown: