recurve bows - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Bow Hunting
Bow Hunting Discuss Bow Season topics

Old 06-13-2011, 10:12 PM

Default recurve bows

Quick photo of current bows. 3 are Bear bows and 1 Shakespeare. I like the Zebra wood riser model second from left. Far left Bear Black Panther, Bear Grizzly, Shakespeare Wonderbow, last another Bear Grizzly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (24.8 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by Hunting Man; 06-13-2011 at 10:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2011, 02:31 AM

Nice collection..

I couldnt hit a bear at 5 feet with one though!
Old 06-16-2011, 11:13 PM

BF, I once could shoot fairly well but today it's more collecting than shooting. I do like to once in a while string them up and see why I don't hunt with them anymore. It's strains the right shoulder pretty well and I pay for it the next day. It is fun though.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:10 PM
B&C 100 Class

i picked up a pse mustang for $88 from work the other day, can i shoot my carbon arrows from my compound with it or is the arrow length gona be off because i use a release with the compound? this is the first recurve ive ever owned, and info about do's and don'ts is greatly appreciated !!
Old 07-05-2011, 08:04 PM

Sounds like you got a good buy on the PSE. I shoot cedar arrows from the recurves and carbon from the compund. Years ago my draw length was far different shooting each bow. Today I try to keep the same draw length. I hope you got a pretty light # bow as recurve bows are hard on the shoulder. 30-35 lb draw at 28" should be about as high as you should go. Recurve shooting is also different on how you hold the bow. The bow should be canted to about the 2:00 position for right handed shooters and 10:00 for lefties. With no sights you have to train your brain to shoot where you are looking, sounds stupid but believe me shooting recurve bows is challengeing to say the least. A whole new set of muscles are used so make sure the bow is a light one to start with. Use an arm guard and either a finger tab or three finger glove. I shoot three fingers and string finger pinch can become painfull at first if you shoot a lot of arrows. with a high poundage short bow. I would have steered you to a 58"-62" 25-30 lb bow to start with. Check the left side of the bow handle and it will tell you of the length/# at 28" draw. Always use a bow stringer never your foot/leg. This will keep you from twisting a limb.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:33 AM
B&C 100 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunting Man View Post
Sounds like you got a good buy on the PSE. I shoot cedar arrows from the recurves and carbon from the compund. Years ago my draw length was far different shooting each bow. Today I try to keep the same draw length. I hope you got a pretty light # bow as recurve bows are hard on the shoulder. 30-35 lb draw at 28" should be about as high as you should go. Recurve shooting is also different on how you hold the bow. The bow should be canted to about the 2:00 position for right handed shooters and 10:00 for lefties. With no sights you have to train your brain to shoot where you are looking, sounds stupid but believe me shooting recurve bows is challengeing to say the least. A whole new set of muscles are used so make sure the bow is a light one to start with. Use an arm guard and either a finger tab or three finger glove. I shoot three fingers and string finger pinch can become painfull at first if you shoot a lot of arrows. with a high poundage short bow. I would have steered you to a 58"-62" 25-30 lb bow to start with. Check the left side of the bow handle and it will tell you of the length/# at 28" draw. Always use a bow stringer never your foot/leg. This will keep you from twisting a limb.
its a 60" at 50lbs i bow fish with an old compound with fingers so sighting shouldn't be too big of an issue, and what does a bow stringer look like?(ive been using stepthrough method as i didn't know about stringers)
Old 07-06-2011, 09:08 AM

50 lbs is a whole lot of recurve even for me to shoot. A rope stringer is a device that attaches to each bow tip and you step on the middle of it and pull the bow upwards slipping the bow string into place under the rope stringer. They are like 10.00 but prevent twisting a bow limb using the step through method, by exerting equal pressure to both limbs. At my best I maxed my hunting recurve at 64"@58# and that was 20 years ago. Just be careful and don't rip up any back/shoulder muscles trying to pull more than you can/should. Good luck!

Last edited by Hunting Man; 07-06-2011 at 11:56 AM.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:49 PM
B&C 100 Class

thanks for the info! i can pull it back no problem i just dont plan on holding it back like i would with my compound hunting, if i use it on game itll be my new bow fishing rig when the one i have now dies (great bow work out is repeatedly pulling anchor in about 75 ft of water with about 65# worth of anchor and chain on the end, one arm pulls only!! no cheatn!! lol )
Old 07-06-2011, 03:18 PM

Right now I'm feeling old and weak! 50 lb no problem! How many fish break the carbon arrows? When I was growing up we shot hundreds of carp with our bows but used heavy fiberglass arrows and 80 lb test line attached to the bow reels. We could get carp in the 20-40 lb range. Good luck with the new bow, I'm heading to the weight room and bulk up! One more thing to check, with the bow unstrung, the string should measure about 4" shorter than the listed bow length. This will be just about right for the correct string length. 50lb pull no problem, I need to get another boat and heavy anchor
Old 07-06-2011, 05:39 PM
B&C 100 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunting Man View Post
Right now I'm feeling old and weak! 50 lb no problem! How many fish break the carbon arrows? When I was growing up we shot hundreds of carp with our bows but used heavy fiberglass arrows and 80 lb test line attached to the bow reels. We could get carp in the 20-40 lb range. Good luck with the new bow, I'm heading to the weight room and bulk up! One more thing to check, with the bow unstrung, the string should measure about 4" shorter than the listed bow length. This will be just about right for the correct string length. 50lb pull no problem, I need to get another boat and heavy anchor
i still use a regular fiberglass fishin arrow and only had to go wade in after it once and im only after tilapia down here the biggest ive seen was round 7 lbs and the ones ive hit so far get stunned from being hit lol i asked about the carbons just for target messin round, i need to get back on my compound my archery season starts in 24 days!!