Deer Hunting Forums banner

Crossbows are bows too

9K views 27 replies 9 participants last post by  joel the signman 
#1 ·
DGB has a crossbow and each time we hunt i am envious!:crazy:

#4 ·
im not at all in to crossbow hunters having the same bragging rights as other archers you litterally take away 95% of the human error! by all means fellas with a disability hats off to them using a crossbow at least they are out there enjoying the thrill!

#5 ·
Purchased my dad a barnett demon from e-bay and he's gonna try his luck this year.Will be a first for us both into archery hunting.I'll be using a compound.
Hope he doesn't smoke me lol and then again if he does it'll be great.He's gettin some age on him and has been havin some bad luck the last few years and he's not use to missin.I'm hopin that this will be his year to get back into the mix.

#10 ·
i dont own one the are illegal to hunt with in Ny unless your handicapped.I see no reason why they should be banned though.I dont think they should be allowed during bow season,during firearms or muzzleloader seems fair though

#11 ·
That's how it is in Texas.You can use one legally during gun season but only with a disability during bow season.Wait till your 65yrs old and have had a bout with cancer which left you with only one good lung and you have aurthritis and your eyes don't work like they use to and then tell me if it is a challenge to hunt deer with a crossbow or not.Just the fact that he's out there still trying is testament to the mans grit.I'd buy him a handgrenade if it was legal.hehehe
SOK
We all discover at different times in our lives that we still have some growin to do.
I will post later this year and let yall know if dad pulls one off.

#13 ·
in tennessee it was always illegal unless you were handicap until last year or the year before. since that time it has been a heated discussion for alot of hunters. i agree that if you want to be an accurate shooter a compound bow takes more work than a crossbow. but if your older and losing some of your strength that comes with aging than i would rather see someone make a clean, accurate shot with a crossbow than a "well i hope i hit him shot" with a compound. i enjoy the work that goes with a compound and the "proudness" you feel after tagging a deer with one. but when the times comes when i dont have the young body i got now ill hang my compound up and go buy me a crossbow. hopefully that is many years away.

i think that if your handicap or getting on up in the years than by all means just get in the woods and hunt with whatever bow your comfortable with. but in tennessee if your a young, healthy fellow go buy you a compound or a recurve and start practicing.

i would also like to see crossbows in the same catagory as muzzleloaders

#14 · (Edited by Moderator)
while a heathly dissucssion is good we as hunters have to remember to stick together.the antis love when we fight amongst ourseleves. if you want to go out and club a deer im cool with that.Ive seen this type of argument going on for years just insert different terms.flinlock vs inline, inline vs 209 primer, scope vs no scope.longbow vs compound,fly rod vs bait fishing....... the list goes on.UNITED WE STAND DIVIDED WE FALL .:ranting:

#16 ·
I am excited about trying to take my first deer with the bow this year.I know it's gonna be a challenge because where I'll be bowhuntin the deer are very wise to our ways so even if I manage to take a doe I will be more proud of it than anything else I take with a firearm.But it still won't compare to how swelled up I'll be if the daughter gots her one.

#17 · (Edited)
hey rockman first year with a bow?thats awesome,man its an adrenalin rush and a half you got to be way closer bowhunting than shooting for me 40 yrds its the limit i prefer 20.Get practicing.and good luck if you got questions just ask im not an expert on bows and im not a professional hunter but i bow i hunt more than gun these days:thumbup:if your hunting from a tree practice that angle shot.

#18 ·
Thanks Joel,
You just answered my first question bud.I was going to ask about practicing from the same angle I was expecting to be shooting from.Can you tell me if people tend to shoot over or under their targets from a ladder or tree stand?And is distance the same like a rifle where you don't take in the angle? LOL
I got about 10 million more questions.
My huntin buddy says if I hunt with that bow I'm gonna be ruint for life.No more gun hunting.
Rock

#19 · (Edited)
OVER /UNDER HAPPENS ALOT theres is a lot of discussion over wether or not the distance changes cuz of the angle i believe it doesnt because you are shooting at such a close range.the best way is to find out for yerself get a stand and start shooting. get one of those block targets or if you can afford it a deer style target cabelas or any good sporting good store carries these.i have a climber style tree stand but those ladder ones are real easy to use and are pretty comfortable.some guys use hang ons but i find them to be to small and uncomfortable again try for yerself enjoy:biggrin:no it wont ruin your gun hunting .the beauty of bow hunting is it lets you hunt before the guns start booming you can also bow hunt after gun season.Bottom line more time to hunt and be in the field.for that reason alone youll love bow hunting

#20 ·
Man thats exactly what I was thinking.More quality time in the woods.A buddy of mine said he has a ladder stand I can use this year.I have a pop-up I used last year but it's not really made for bow hunting.Kinda small and small windows.I may check it out next time I'm at the lease.You can see by my pic that I'm about as big around as I am tall so I think I'll pass on the strap ons and climbers.I'm built kinda close to the ground also(short) lol
Thanks for the advice so far.More questions soon.
Rock

#21 ·
ladder stands are great .by the way im built similar:biggrin:

#22 ·
As I have gotton older I have gravitated to latter stands. Of the 13 stands I got out in the wild 11 are latter stands. I use 15 footers on knolls/20 footers on
flat ground all on private land. Some are near food sources, others near bedding areas so they go hot/cold. I have had a few stolen even when locked. I've had a fear of heights but over it now. The latter stand with the full harness vest gives me the security I want. I wait post season to buy the stands from Wal-Mart,Sportmans Guide or E-bay. I have them out by July 1st for the season so the critters can get used to them. They are a pain to lug into the woods but worth it.:smile:

#25 ·
on a saftey note you should alll go to the treestand association of america website,i misplaced the link alot of recalls are going on and saftey harnesses as well.I have a copy of field and stream or outdoor life that shows the proper way to build them yourself ill have to look for it.Tree stands that is.Stay safe

#27 ·
some kids just never learn. granted i agree taking a deer with a compound is probably more difficult than a crossbow. BUT like i beleive critter gitter said in an earlier post, you still have to be in the woods, find the deer, aim, hold steady, and all the stuff that goes along with a rifle or muzzleloader hunt at a reduced yardage.

just wait till i see you at church boy. its on :boxing: ...

just kidding folks im trying to teach this young un a few things about hunting. but yall know how teenagers can be.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.