Bow Hunter without anywhere to hunt?!?! - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Bow Hunting
Bow Hunting Discuss Bow Season topics

Old 10-11-2007, 01:55 PM
Scrub Buck

Default Bow Hunter without anywhere to hunt?!?!

I am a realitivly new bow hunter from michigan (only been at it for a couple years now) and I have a pretty big problem at hand. In years past I hunted with a friend on some property that his family ownes , that property is no longer available for me to hunt. I was wondering if there are any tips or hot spots on any public land that someone could point me too. I am also looking into getting a new stand and I am leaning toward a climber if I am going to be hunting primarly on state land. Any sugestions for brands of climbers that are best? Any help you can give me would be great.

See ya in the woods!! Best of luck to all the hunters out there, and remember keep it safe.
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2007, 03:30 PM

i cant help you on the land to hunt but i can tell what kind of stands i like. i currently own an api. ive used a buddies summit and liked it as well. i guess if i bought a new stand i would look at the summits pretty hard
Old 10-11-2007, 04:34 PM
B&C 100 Class

I would suggest that you contact your local biologist. They no doubt can tell you where there are high concentrations of deer on public land. As far as the treestands go, do a search on google for tree-lounge.

Hope this helps.

AJHunter
Old 10-14-2007, 09:19 PM
Scrub Buck

hey mihunter,
If your a bow hunter, I might just to be able to help you out! I own 120 acres in Southern Michigan.. I can offer you a couple of weekdays only and bow only. Send e-mail to jcc6063@yahoo .com with phone # for more details.
Reading, Michigan
Old 10-15-2007, 09:58 AM

mighty kind of you jcc. i appreciate hunters like you willing to help fellow hunters out
Old 10-15-2007, 08:24 PM
Banned

Public land can be some of the best hunting land available. You just have to have the attitude that it is open to everyone else.

I own a climber along with a hang on and ladder stand. I use my climber but prefer a hang on stand, but I feel the safest in the ladder stand.

For Christmas this year I am going to ask for the Non Typical rapid rails. I also plan on acquiring either a Tree Saddle or a Tree Seat (both are harness type tree stands). Because you wear the Tree Saddle/Seat I'm going to carry the Rapid Rails(11 lbs) in to the woods each time I hunt, set them up and then fix the Tree Saddle/Seat to the tree. I think this would be a great solution for public hunting.

I have a friend who used to use this technique before he got his own land, and said it is much simpler than it sounds.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:36 AM
Scrub Buck

I own a summit goliath, and also a api grandslam superstar
I like one just as much as the other!!!!!!!!
Old 10-20-2007, 09:33 AM
Scrub Buck

Default try a tree harness

I hunt public lands and am also new to hunting, I think it just takes alot of time to scout out the area your gonna hunt,but once tou find a decent spot it's worth it. I currently use a tree harness with tree gaffs, it's totally light weight and easy to move around in the woods the only downside I find is you kinda beet up the trees with your gaffs and make more noise swinging around the tree to position yourself, but it beets the work of setting up the tree stands, especially if you gotta take it with you every time. I got mine at Cabellas( it wasn't in the catalog though)
Old 10-31-2007, 09:03 AM
Scrub Buck

Default come hunt

hey mihunter,if you are ever in southern illinois come and hunt with me.i would be more than happy to take you along ,i have 3900 acres of mainly small farm land to hunt,consisting of fence rows,5-120 acre tracts of woods,crp fields(setaside).i know how it feels not to have a place to hunt and it sucks,i just went to ppl's houses mainly farmer and asked if i could hunt,all they could say is yes or no and you would be surprised how many said yes.most farmers want the deer gone they tear up grain fields and are a nuissence,so get uot there and just ask,good luck and be safe.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill f View Post
hey mihunter,if you are ever in southern illinois come and hunt with me.i would be more than happy to take you along ,i have 3900 acres of mainly small farm land to hunt,consisting of fence rows,5-120 acre tracts of woods,crp fields(setaside).i know how it feels not to have a place to hunt and it sucks,i just went to ppl's houses mainly farmer and asked if i could hunt,all they could say is yes or no and you would be surprised how many said yes.most farmers want the deer gone they tear up grain fields and are a nuissence,so get uot there and just ask,good luck and be safe.

bill f, That's a heck of an offer and I applaud you for it...... I want to personally say thank you on behalf of all hunters...

Happy Safe Hunting