New to bow hunting - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Bow Hunting
Bow Hunting Discuss Bow Season topics

Old 02-25-2011, 01:03 PM
B&C 100 Class

Default New to bow hunting

I just got a used Browning bow a couple of weeks ago. I took it to my local archery shop and they tuned it for me. I have been practicing there and my groupings are good if too low. I want to get a new sight. I did get a new arrow rest and that helped immensely. I have never been bow hunting before though I have been wanting to get into it for a few years now. The last time I shot a bow was in high school gym class with the fiberglass bows that look like straight sticks until they are strung. My boyfriend is going to get some hay bales and make me a target rest so I can practice at home. I found a few websites where I can print targets at home. I also am absolutely horrible at judging distances so I'll need a rangefinder, and am thinking about the Dead On Rangefinder for bows.

I am using a bungee cord to exercise and build up the muscles in my arms and shoulders.

Any hints, tips or info would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2011, 02:14 PM
B&C 120 Class

If you haven't maxed out the draw weight on your bow, than what I did was I would shoot 20 to 30 times a day for about a week. When you can draw the bow string easily sitting on a chair, than that is about the right draw weight. You can put more weight on if you feel that you can pull more weight. Just pulling back the string and holding it for a while is good practice. Good luck!!
Old 02-25-2011, 04:15 PM
B&C 140 Class

My friend, dad and I all use this Truglo sight...its one of the best for the money. I shoot out to 50 yards no problem with it.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunting/Archery/Sights/Bow-Sights|/pc/104791680/c/104693580/sc/104571180/i/103860180/Truglo174-Brite-Site-Xtreme-Five-Pin-Sight-with-Light/745861.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fhunti ng-archery-sights-bow-sights%2F_%2FN-1100041%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_103860180%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BMMcat1047 91680%253Bcat104693580%253Bcat104571180&WTz_l=SBC% 3BMMcat104791680%3Bcat104693580%3Bcat104571180%3Bc at103860180

This is the rangefinder that I've used for the last 2 years, its a tough little thing.

Cabela's: Nikon ProStaff 550 Laser Rangefinder

Make sure you have a good release. I use a Tru-Fire Hurricane release. Expensive, but worth EVERY penny. Good arrows are also important. I cant reccomend Beman "Bone Collector" arrows enough, went from 6" to 3" groups at 50 yards just by switching to these. $55 per 6.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:07 PM

Like WD I too like the TruGlo sights but I would look at the carbon XS for a couple bucks more you get fiber optics I paid more to get the camo & light but very rarely even need the light as the Fiber optics pull in a lot of light so they are usually very bright
Old 02-25-2011, 10:24 PM
B&C 140 Class

Practice practice , and don't shoot same spot all the time move around, if you get in enough practice you shouldn't need a range finder, (you will get use to yardage) and in most cases in a hunting situation not much time for range finder put up an draw bow. If your not ready by the time deer season comes in mark your hunting area with some ribbon to make off your distance in your shooting lanes if need be. And as far as building up your arm, shoot every two or three days, give your arm recovery time. You'll see you'll build your arm faster than if you shoot every day. And stop shooting before your arm is fully fatigued. (don't shoot to the point ya can't pull the bow, it does nothing for your arm and the more fatigued you are the sloppier your shooting will become and that only brings frustration)
Old 02-26-2011, 09:13 PM
B&C 100 Class

Thanks for all the info. I appreciate it. The problem with the TruGlo sights is that they are not legal in SD. Nothing electronic is allowed for bow hunting though the Lumenocks are.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:28 PM
B&C 140 Class

I use tru-glo sites also, simply because of cost. the only thing that can be considered electronic o the sites would be the IR lite, which you can elect to remove.

are you allowed to use a flashlight or a cellphone at any time during the hunt. just looking for clarification on the non use of electronics.
PSE 2006 FIRESTORM LITE #70
PSE 2009 TREESTAND GX #70
PSE 2010 1/2 AXE 6 #60
PSE 2011 EVO #70

The Devils Advocate

Revelation 22:17

Old 02-28-2011, 10:58 AM
B&C 100 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predator View Post
I use tru-glo sites also, simply because of cost. the only thing that can be considered electronic o the sites would be the IR lite, which you can elect to remove.

are you allowed to use a flashlight or a cellphone at any time during the hunt. just looking for clarification on the non use of electronics.
Flashlights and cell phones are allowed, but the SD rules state " The use or possesion of electronic arrow or string releases of any kind is prohibited while hunting(manual releases are legal). the use or possession of electronic bow mounted devices of any kind that aid in the taking of game is prohibited while hunting. This includes electronically lighted sight pins and laser sights. Telescopic sights are prohibited. Lighted nocks are allowed."

This should clarify what I meant.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:33 AM
Scrub Buck

Bowhunting for deer requires quite a bit of preparation time. Few are lucky enough to step into the timber for the first time and stick a big buck. Pre-season scouting is essential. You'll probably alert the buck to your presence and make him nervous even before the season starts.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwolfden View Post
Flashlights and cell phones are allowed, but the SD rules state " The use or possesion of electronic arrow or string releases of any kind is prohibited while hunting(manual releases are legal). the use or possession of electronic bow mounted devices of any kind that aid in the taking of game is prohibited while hunting. This includes electronically lighted sight pins and laser sights. Telescopic sights are prohibited. Lighted nocks are allowed."

This should clarify what I meant.
so then you can use true glo sites. fiber optics are not electronic they just collect light better then traditional pins just don't get one w/ a light or just remove it. I use the light mostly for practice at dawn & dusk but like I said w/ fiber optics you really don't need the light