Improving Deer Hunting In your area - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Bow Hunting
Bow Hunting Discuss Bow Season topics

Old 10-06-2007, 07:05 PM
Scrub Buck

Default Improving Deer Hunting In your area

I was wondering how i could improve deer hunting in some of my familys land?? like food plots of whatever????

Plz answer i am new and looking forward to my first deer!
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2007, 09:21 PM
B&C 180 Class

they are lots of ways.how much land we talkin bout?
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 10-06-2007, 09:29 PM
Scrub Buck

about 40 acres, im talking about improvments like salt licks and food plots.......

i need it in an essay for a contest as i said in the tips for bowhunting thread
Old 10-07-2007, 12:57 PM
B&C 180 Class

shoot the does to balance the herd ,thin out some of the trash trees and plant a food plot.keep one area a santcuary that is filled with nasty briar and laurels ,a place where no one wants to go but the deer and dont hunt it ever.Salt licks can spread disease among the deer and feeders should only be used if they spread the feed around ,again disease can be passed around.
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 10-07-2007, 10:03 PM

joel had some good tips. 40 acres is small though. i think it would really depend on how your deer are on the property all ready. what do they use that 40 acres for? bedding areas, food, just passing through? if you got a lot of deer moving through your woods already i dont know if i would do alot to it right off the bat. just sneak in and hunt it. thinning does is always a good tip. like joel said deer need a santuary where no human scent every get in there and they have a good place to hide. i would spend my time at first just observing the deer and there patterns and then decide where a food plot or some other man made item will help you hunt them more sucessful. i guess what im trying to say is just be patient and whatever you decide to do just dont over do it.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:16 AM
B&C 100 Class

Wink Plant A Garden

Hi Friend,

I only have 1 acre and I have 4 vegetable gardens and have plenty of deer around. I would suggest planting pumpkins, the deer in my area love them. Caution you will have to fight the deer off to keep them out of your garden. Just a little word to the wise.

You might want to plant some clover,winter rye, or alfalfa. These are real good deer attractors.

AJHunter
Old 10-09-2007, 04:37 PM
Scrub Buck

Default Thanks!!!

Thank you guys so much for some of the tips. my friend tried some salt licks and now has moose all around his house! If i win the contest i was talking about i owe you guys. i dought i will tho but i wont give up hope. a five day bear hunting trip will be pretty awesome for me, a new hunter.