Is crossbow hunting bow hunting? - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Bow Hunting
Bow Hunting Discuss Bow Season topics

Old 12-20-2010, 03:22 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default Is crossbow hunting bow hunting?

There, I opened the rotten worm can. Be nice guys , I'm just pondering the expansion of my hunting and bow hunting is about all I have left. I shot years ago (a lot of years) in fact I never held one of the new compound bows. Back in the day doc sampson showed up at the Susquehanna bowman with this new "modern" bow. of course he was poked fun at a lot until we all lined up to shoot the 80 yard target. He just stood there and watched our rainbows arc toward the 4ft round target and every once in a while the guys with sights would hit it, the rest of us just bent our aluminum arrows. Then he stepped up and his arrows rainbowed but nothing like ours and he hit the target 3 out of 4. You can guess who had the last laugh!
Anyways anyone else willing to admit they use a crossbow and how do they work?
Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2010, 03:36 PM
B&C 180 Class

Daddus.... no question is stupid on here! Yes, most states consider cross bow hunting as Archery hunting. However, Crossbows and Compound bows are two totally different weapons. I have never personally shot a crossbow... but it looks to be relatively easy.... correct me if i'm wrong fellas....
Old 12-20-2010, 03:52 PM

cross bow hunting is archery hunting it shoots a bolt with a broadhead and vanes, that's not a bullet. That's the view from here.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:16 PM

I agree with the others, A Crossbow is a Bow no matter how you look at it, a lot of states allow hunters to use crossbows and many dont,
Just make sure you check the local laws in the areas you plan on using the crossbow...

Old 12-20-2010, 04:58 PM
B&C 100 Class

I have recently purchased a crossbow because of shoulder injury. It is easier on some things such as looking through a scope rather than using pins, but it also has it down falls such as having to be more precise on yardage. When I used a compound bow it was more forgiving on yardage compared to a crossbow. You would think it would be easier because of the speed. I shoot a crossbow now but I honestly think it took alot out of bowhunting for me. But anything to get the back strap!!!!! GOOD LUCK
Old 01-07-2011, 01:58 PM
Scrub Buck

People do saw bow hunting when using either a crossbow or a compound bow but they are two different styles of shooting.

Crossbow for sale

Last edited by jacob321; 07-10-2013 at 08:20 PM.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:39 PM
B&C 100 Class

the thing about crossbows is theyve been around longer than any other form of bow. and if you really want to get into it, is the compound bow really a primitive weapon?
Old 01-12-2011, 09:10 PM
B&C 140 Class

here in ky crossbow is divided from bow hunting it has its own season. i think a cross bow as more of a gun only because of how it fires, yes still a string, shoots a bolt, but has a stock and trigger, in my opinion they are great. but i dont feel a crossbow has the yardage a compound bow does but that might be just my cheap hoyt crossbow. im sure the newer berret compound crossbows are much much better than what i got but i cant shell out 600 bucks on one either.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:32 AM

You probably would pass out with the Ten Point models at $2000.00. However, a fully loaded Mathews coumpound would get to the 1400.00 range!
Old 01-13-2011, 10:23 AM
B&C 140 Class

yeah i nkow its unreal what people are spending on equipment these days. my bow hunting from the start was a proline my dad give me, then i bought a high country at the time i had the proline then high country was the mathews of today (well here in ky anyways) but i was just 4 years ago i got it and only paid 150 for it, but time got hard n i let it go now im shooting a really old bear bow (its a loner from a friend and not even my bow lol)and i have harvested two deer with it this year. so i think im safe to say ya dont need a 1000 buck in a bow, you need practice time with and hunting equipment you use to be sucssefull