Is crossbow hunting bow hunting? - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Bow Hunting
Bow Hunting Discuss Bow Season topics

Old 01-13-2011, 01:10 PM
B&C 120 Class

In RI you have to have some type of disability that prevents you from using archery gear to use a crossbow. I think it is to similar to a rifle myself and would prefer people use traditional or compounds it weeds out some of the wanna be archer's as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2011, 05:31 PM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerless View Post
In RI you have to have some type of disability that prevents you from using archery gear to use a crossbow. I think it is to similar to a rifle myself and would prefer people use traditional or compounds it weeds out some of the wanna be archer's as well.
same in ky if you have a disability, you can get a pass from fish and game to crossbow during the regular archery season, but for the rest there is a crossbow season.
i have been seeing more and more people picking up crossbows here because they dont like bow hunting and fish and game has cut back on the regular modern gun season so its push those who are tring to fill tags into other methods of harvesting.
Old 01-15-2011, 04:28 PM

NH is the same if used during archery season
You can use one during rifle season but you use your rifle tag
to me & only my opinion it sould stay that way or have it's own season. I am not putting down the crossbow but to me it is more of like a rifle then a bow & you can say that a compound is more advanced then a long bow or recurve & that is true but I had to hold mine back this year 2x for 5 -10 mins & I knew that I was not going to be able to do it a third time on this deer I could rest my crossbow all day long & scope the deer & pull the trigger
Old 01-17-2011, 07:26 PM
B&C 100 Class

Thumbs up Crossbow Hunting

I use to hunt with a compound but due to permanent back problems I sold my gear because I couldn't draw anymore. I've been thinking about crossbow hunting so I don't loose any time in the outdoors. It's legal here in PA so I don't have a problem with crossbow hunting for anyone.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:59 PM

Hunter 177, I'm with you, doesn't matter what people use as long as it's legal when they use it.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:58 PM
Scrub Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunting Man View Post
cross bow hunting is archery hunting it shoots a bolt with a broadhead and vanes, that's not a bullet. That's the view from here.
I agree with hunting man. Crossbow is bow too, and it is more stable than a compound bow in my opinion.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:22 AM
Scrub Buck

For anyone who has ever done both, it is easy to see that there are no major advantages for crossbow over a modern compound. I would rather use my compound bow than my cross bow its easier and safer. That said anyone who wants to use a cross bow should go for it. They are still a primitive weapon as they give you now significant advantage in distance.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:49 PM
B&C 160 Class

True the crossbow has no distance advantage but it is not a bow.It is cocked and ready like a gun and is shouldered like a rifle.I have nothing against crossbow hunters but lets keep are facts straight here do not compare it to bowhunting.In bowhunting half the battle is getting into position to draw,sometimes your busted and this is not possible.It takes thousands of arrows to learn muscle memory and backtension with a compound to be a proficent archer.Enjoy your crossbow but dont compare the two.Apples&oranges.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:16 PM

I will have to disagree a bit here. Some think the crossbow should be legal in gun seasons or muzzleloading seasons only. I would argue that the crossbow is closer to compound bows than ML rifles and therefor should be legal in any archery season. The fact that it shoots a fletched bolt, fancy name for short arrow and is tipped with a broadhead, powered from compressed limbs makes them a bow. I remember the same argument when compounds replaced recurves, yes I'm that old, and before that recurves replaced long bows and same argument. I do agree that if legal shoot it! Just for the record, I don't own a crossbow.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:07 PM
B&C 160 Class

Im not against the crossbow in any season.If they pass it in new york for archery season thats fine with me.I was just stating that i dont believe you can compare it to bowhunting.Hey someday with my neck i might need to shoot one down the road.