Deer Hunting Forums

Deer Hunting Forums (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/)
-   Bow Hunting (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/bow-hunting/)
-   -   tree stand question (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/bow-hunting/679-tree-stand-question.html)

miadarola 09-16-2007 05:43 PM

tree stand question

Is their any right height when setting up a tree stand?

BruceBruce1959 09-16-2007 06:44 PM

There is no Right Height. Only You can decide what's a good safe comfortable height for you at the spot your hunting in.
At one hunting spot you may want to be at 12, 14 even 16 feet up, While another hunting spot you may only want to be at 8 or 10 feet high...
A tree stand only gives you a slight edge by keeping your scent elevated and it helps keep you out the deers "Line of sight" BUT sometimes the wind will pull your scent right down to the ground and most deer seem to sense danger and will look right up at you...
so sometimes it doesnt matter if your 2 feet up or 42 feet up it all boils down to YOU the LOCATION and the DEER...

this is why I always say "slow body movements and cover scents are always the most important things" when a deer is in the ZONE... :wink:

Good Luck...

joel the signman 09-16-2007 07:35 PM

:goodposting:deer see movementl ike nobodies buisness.remeber the higher you go the steeper the angle of your shot this really affects bow hunters.you have to bend at the waist to shoot down the steeper the angle the more you have to bend,gravity is not your friend and the chance of falling becomes greater.something to think about as you climb higher up:yes:

buckfever 09-17-2007 09:23 AM

both good postings on this one. my hang on stands are only as high as my sticks will allow. which is 16 feet. i just hunt for a tree where that amount of height will work properly. when i use my climber i usually go as high as i can until my stand is at an almost level position. usually about 20 feet or so. but it really depends on you and how comfortably you are at heights. lots of deer have been shot from the ground or from only 10 feet up a tree.

nybowhunter 09-20-2007 09:21 PM

When I bowhunt in Connecticut, where the deer are heavily hunted, I have found that the deer almost watch the trees for hunters. I now climb 25ft up and notice that it has helped. More than anything, what really matters is how well you blend in to your surroundings. The more you can hide yourself in a tree with foliage, the less you will stick out and the less the deer will notice you. Alternatively, during the winter time it helps to wear snow camo to blend in better with the bare trees and white sky on cloudy or overcast days. I almost exclusively hunt from treestands, but always make a point to hunt from the ground a few days each season. There's nothing more exciting than taking a whitetail from eye level.

joel the signman 09-22-2007 09:52 PM

nybowhunter i sent ya a pm:thumbup:

Rozman62 09-25-2007 12:44 PM

nybowhunter hit it right on the head. In high pressure areas the deer will look up. I have been picked off without movement at 15ft. If you can get on a knoll then 15 ft should be ok. If not then go 20ft+. If you stay 20ft above the line of sight on deer then you stand a much better chance of not getting seen. If you are uncomfortable with these heights then look for the high ground with sign and set up in your comfort zone. I have seen a dramatic improvement going higher.

critter gitter 09-25-2007 07:55 PM

Well here's my thought#1 the right height is the one you are comfortable falling out at (in other words are you afraid of heights?) and #2 if the deer are constantly looking up why not hunt from the ground, useing natural cover of course.

xxunholy1xx 09-25-2007 08:00 PM

tree stand height

The height would depend on the type of area you are hunting in, the clarity of your shooting lane, etc. I prefer ground blinds over tree stands, because if you dont have a ton of time for scouting or setting up the areas you plan to hunt you can easily move to where the deer are. But that is just my opinion.

"Buck Down" 09-26-2007 01:58 PM

hang em high

The best way to determine the height to hunt from is to look at the tree from ground level without looking up. You can see up the tree about 10-15 feet with your perifial vision, this is what a deer will see. I like to go about 10 feet or so higher than I can see from the ground. This is why I like to hunt 20 feet or higher. I hunt alot of hillsides so Im usually closer to 30 feet to get out of the deers line of sight. In most cases I believe 20 feet is high enough to get your bow without the deer catching you.