Opinions on Crossbows - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Bow Hunting
Bow Hunting Discuss Bow Season topics

Old 06-29-2010, 07:58 AM
B&C 120 Class

Default Opinions on Crossbows

I have been reading and thinking about crossbows lately. I am an avid bowhunter and consider bow season my favorite part of deer season. If legal, I would take the jump from compound bow to crossbow for use during achery season. Apparantly this is a major issue amoung traditional bowhunters. Historically, traditionalist oppose anykind of change. The same thing occured when inline muzzleloaders hit the market and more recently with the AR platform with rifles. All of this in fighting amoungst hunters is very damaging for the sport and future of hunting.

I did some research regarding crossbow hunting in NY and here is a quick summary of what I found. There is a bill (A924/ S6793 )making its way through the state legislature that would give the DEC the right to regulate crossbows as a hunting implement. Upon seeing this I was initially excited. After digging in and reading more I found that it would make crossbows legal only during Regular gun season and muzzleloader seasons, not during achery season. I see this as a step in the righ direction but not going far enough. A crossbow is still a bow and is nothing more than achery tackle. This bill if passed would begin to take effect for the 2012 hunting season.
More research turned up that the main driving force opposing the legal use of crossbows is the New York Bowhunters, an example of hunters fighting hunters. I fail to find how this is helpful to our sport and industry.

With that said, what are others opinions on the use of crossbows, especially during Achery seasons? Are there others who would give crossbows a fair trial?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2010, 09:07 AM
B&C 140 Class

I heard this year they approved crossbows for hunting in archery season here in Oklahoma. I think it will be good for alot of hunters...especially those who don't have the time or interest to learn how to accurately shoot a bow...or just those who see the advantage it would give over a regular compound. I know some of my hunting buddies who can't seem to hit anything with a bow, but can shoot well with a scoped rifle. This will be a good deal for them...lol. I'm not going to give up my recurve for one, but I know alot of people will be switching.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:41 AM
B&C 160 Class

Crossbows have been legal here in Tennessee for a number of years. Personally I never cared to hunt with one. While they may have some advantages they also have disadvanntages. For those whose are not able to pull back a recurve or compond it allows more days in the woods hunting. I think a hunter is more limited in available shots with the Xbow because of the limbs getting in the way of turnig in a tree stand. Many thought it would increase their range but it really didn't a bow shot beyond 30 yards is still a questionable shot even with the Xbow.

I'm sticking (excuse the pun) with My old realiable Mathews.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:27 PM
ronn

i got nothing against crossbows and if they made a special season i would hunt with one, but its not exactly the same as a vertical bow. the main difference is its already cocked and ready to fire where with the vertical you need to make the movement to draw. so in that respect its closer to a firearm. with the deer adapting to suburban areas its a good thing that crossbows can be used during the gun season. here in nh the state recently allowed cross bows during the rifle season following the rifle rules or with a dr note use one as archery.

that said if it gets more people hunting and caring about the state of and well being of the critters its a great thing.

Last edited by ronn; 06-30-2010 at 02:30 PM.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:46 PM

I like the way ronn put it. Im in the same boat as him on how I feel about cross bow hunting.

I may run my mouth to my hunting buds about them using crossbows but it doesnt matter to me either way.

Im using a compound and that is way far technically advanced over a recurve.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:41 PM
B&C 140 Class

except for how they look,I don't think either one is better than the other. They shoot just as fast ,cost just as much,and shoot just as far as the other. I don't see why it is such a big deal.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:58 PM

I have no problems with hunters using crossbows during any legal season. Its just another option.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:57 PM
B&C 160 Class

Default crossbows

There is a great article on crossbows in this months august issue of north american whitetail.Lots of interesting facts and some of the myths about crossbows.I agree with the forum anything that will boost the number of hunters or possibly create new ones im all for it.The only apprehension i have is hunters taking unethical shots at long distances thinking they have a firearm.The crossbows range and kinetic energy is actually less at longer ranges than a compound.