Traditional arrow Q - Deer Hunting Forums
Bow Hunting Discuss Bow Season topics

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
B&C 140 Class

Traditional arrow Q

I have always thought that my recurve doesn't get the penetration that it should. After doing some research, I think my problem may be the weight of arrows I'm shooting. I can't find the original box, so I'm not sure exactly what I have. They are gold tip carbon arrows tipped with 100gr. I think this combo may be too light for the low speeds my bow is shooting. Apparently when using traditional bows it requires a heavier arrow with more weight forward to get good penetration. What weight do I need to be shooting?? I have a 30" draw and the bow shoots and advertised 55lb. Looking into broadheads shows the popular sizes from 85 to 125 gr., but there are some much heavier broadheads. There are also weights to put inside the front of the arrows. What do you guys think is a good arrow weight for my setup?

John Eitzen
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 11:49 PM

Just a bump for you flexj hoping someone sees this thread. Im clueless when it comes to recurves. Hopefully your not our only recurve man and someone can help you out.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 10:37 AM

When I had my last Bruin T/D recurve at the time it was fast for a recurve 200-212 fps, when compared with today's compound bows at 300-330- they are pretty slow. Velosity is how modern bows subsitiute for mass/arrow weight = penetration. Heavier arrows are a must for recurve hunting to compensate for low fps. My opinion 125 gr broadheads are a good start. I know my memory isn't what it once was but I think arrows weighing 500grs might have been the norm??? My Bruin bow was a 58# @31" draw. Flexj, I think your arrow speed will be fairly low, under 200 fps with a hunting arrow/broadhead combination. You will have to substitute more mass. You may have to go to aluminum?? I'm going to have to find out the weight of the new wood arrows I'm getting to see what they weigh. I'm not sure if I will hunt with the recurve or just play in the back yard with it. Good luck!

Last edited by Hunting Man; 07-02-2010 at 10:38 AM. Reason: spell

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Deer Hunting Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode