trail camera locations - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Bow Hunting
Bow Hunting Discuss Bow Season topics

Old 08-10-2007, 01:05 PM
Scrub Buck

Default trail camera locations

wher do you get picture of your older bucks what location setups and do you prefer to use some type of lure or where legal bait what is working for you guys right now I Ihave one camera at a hidden apple tree in the woods seems like every buck in that area is visiting it one in a food plot of chicory with a crabapple tree next to it, and third one next to a creek and staging area which a bean field is about 50 yards away thanks for any input .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2007, 01:12 PM
Scrub Buck

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:18 PM

an apple tree in the middle of the woods would seem like a really good spot. i think your other spots could be good also. as long as your seeing some good buck pics. i think the location of the bucks would vary from land to land. on my lease we got to get way up the mountain in some thick stuff to get a pic of a nice buck. (usually) a apple tree for me might only show does but for you some nice bucks
Old 08-11-2007, 08:51 PM
B&C 180 Class

sorry i dont use em.a guy at camp uses it he positions it across from his illegal corn feeder
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 08-17-2007, 06:18 PM
Scrub Buck

I put them in feilds and on food plots with big buck sign... I keep them out of the woods and away from my hunting locations. The cameras, and the scent you leave placing them sp;ooks deer a little, so just putting them where the deer are already knockturnal to find out what bucks I sdhould be holding out for. My spring scouting swill dictate exactly where my stands go.
Old 08-18-2007, 05:08 PM
Scrub Buck

Man, in mississippi we don't have a whole lotta apple trees so we just put em on trails or wherever the deer enter the plots. bout october 20th, i have a big tree in the middle of a 7 acre field thats right smack dab in the middle of 4 food plots and i like to make a mock scrape right there every year and it works great cuz the deer use that field as a transition zone at night. just gives me an idea what i'll be workin with
Old 10-21-2007, 07:34 PM
B&C 100 Class

i never understood what scout cameras were for? soo why do u need them?
Old 10-21-2007, 10:21 PM
B&C 100 Class

I like to set mine up at creek crossings. I walk the creeks as much a possible to reduce scent. I have set my camera and snapped shots of bucks that night. The first time I tried to put it in the woods I busted a buck so I stick to the bottoms and fields.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.I.D.D. View Post
i never understood what scout cameras were for? soo why do u need them?
you dont have to have em. but they make a nice scouting tool sometimes. lets you know what kind of deer you have in your woods. what times of the day they seem to be moving most. also gives you some motivation if you ever get a pic of a monster buck living in your woods to get out there and hunt.

not a must have but probably a nice sidekick to own
Old 10-22-2007, 04:55 PM
Scrub Buck

I've been camming almost 10 years now, building my own back when they were $250 and up. There are really two reasons to use a trail cam. One is for what I call "gee whiz" pics - those that are eye catching and actually works of art. For those you are looking for a background and deer trail and planning on shooting the pic to get a desired effect. You'll usually plan on having the deer between 10 and 20 feet from the camera. The second use it to "count noses" - to find out what animals are out there and (imperfectly) to try to pattern the time of day that they are visiting a feed site or using a specific trail. For those you can be up to about 75 feet away (if the temperature is cold enough so the deer triggers the IR sensor). As for getting pics of mature bucks, I definitely would NOT, repeat NOT, set up for a shot where I intended to set my stand. It is VERY unusual to get repeat pictures of big bucks in the same spot. They may only move their travel route by 50 feet - but they will rarely go back to a place where they had a flash go off in their face. Does and spikes - sure - they aren't old and smart yet. Hope this helps, and have fun with the cam.