Ground Blind Hunting - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Bow Hunting
Bow Hunting Discuss Bow Season topics

Old 06-06-2010, 09:21 PM
Scrub Buck

Smile Ground Blind Hunting

I have a question about hunting a ground blind. I have always hunted a treestand but a couple years back, i had bought a ground blind. Found it in my hunting closet about a week ago, and want to give it a shot this year.

I would like to put it up now and leave it out all year, but am scared that it will be ruined by hunting season. It is a cableas full draw 2, portable ground blind. Should i put it up and take it down every time i go out, or leave it in permanently?

btw...i hunt private property so i dont have to worry about it getting stolen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2010, 09:27 PM
B&C 160 Class

i used a blind for two seasons. i put it out about 3weeks before bow season (late aug) and left it out till end of season. (mid dec.) two seasons and its still in good shape. hope that helps.
Old 06-07-2010, 05:11 AM

give the animals plenty of time to adjust to it being out there so that when hunting time is near they won't feel all that nervous around it.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:49 AM

While I don't use a ground blind there have been plenty of times when I would have liked to used one, especially when its 38* and raining and the flintlock isn't going to fire! Also, sitting all day in the tree stand when its snowing and really cold, one of these blinds would make a comfortable sit. I agree with the above posts, set it out several weeks in advance with good vegetation around it or some stye of break-up cover. I know their camo already but I would still place some tree branches around it just to break the outline up some.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:17 PM
ronn

Post Well put, sir, well

Well put, sir, well put. I'll cetrlinay make note of that.

Last edited by July; 04-20-2014 at 09:57 PM. Reason: NpP5F8fr
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 03:23 PM
Scrub Buck

Thanks for all the replys. thats basically all my son has been telling me (he's 15 and seems to know a little more about the sport than i do). He's been telling me to set it up now and "brush it in" nicely and let the deer get used to it. I just figured that the metal would rust and the fabric would deteriorate, but i guess not.

My son has a stand looking over a field, but sometimes the deer take a trail down a hedgerow on the other side of the field, and there are no trees for him to put up a stand, so he wanted to put out his blind. How is the best way to set these blinds up?

I think he has his own idea, but im sure he would like to hear other ways to do it, thanks.
Old 06-07-2010, 03:40 PM
ronn

Thumbs up Dear Raggedy ~~ A wo

Dear Raggedy ~~ A wonderful ttbruie to your Dad. I am so glad you have a great relationship with him. Also many thanks for your comments, glad you liked my Father's Day post.I will be thinking of you on Tuesdayand hope all goes well. Take care,Love, Merle.

Last edited by PlayboyPro; 04-20-2014 at 08:22 PM. Reason: lWOtnLt7KP
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 06:51 PM
B&C 100 Class

I got a pop up blind last year and I love it. I hunt farm land a lot, and I think that if your in a tree in a fence row the deer can spot you a mile away, unless you have a perfect tree with a lot of cover. I rarely find that tree in the spot that I want to hunt.

I put my blind up about 3-4 weeks before the season and left it up untill the end. Make sure it is tied down good. They make good kites if the wind gets under them.

I shot an 8 pt a week into the season during a lite rain. I would leave the door open (and the windows you need for shooting) just enough to get in and out because the zipper and/or velcro are painfully loud on a crispy morning.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:00 PM
Scrub Buck

yup. i hunt on a farm field, and across from my stand is a hedge row between the field that my stand looks over, and another field next to it. the hedgerow is only about 7-8 ft wide so i figured the blind would be perfect. the deer like to use the hedgerow as cover and i constantly see them going up and down both fields just along the hedgerow.

dying to try it this season. wat kind of tie downs to you use? would the ones that came with my blind be good?
Old 06-08-2010, 11:41 PM
B&C 140 Class

I am looking for a nice ground blind for this season. I think it would be nice to have an alternative hunt option. Its pretty hard to determine the qualities you want looking on line though. my price range is 50. to 150. for a 2 man unit in realtree AP. if anyone has any recommendations.