Need Advice -- Too Many Deer - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Bow Hunting
Bow Hunting Discuss Bow Season topics

Old 08-04-2007, 11:35 AM
Scrub Buck

Default Need Advice -- Too Many Deer

We live on 5 acres -- kind of suburbs, but the acreage around me on 3 sides is undeveloped -- about half wooded. So, the deer have plenty of places to live, but no one is hunting. We have dozens of deer.

The deer are eating everything. This year we had a very late freeze which killed all of the flowers on the oak trees. There won't be mast this year, so devastation from the deer will be especially bad this year.

A few years ago, I invited a friend to hunt. He put up a tree stand came out a few times and shot 7 deer. He got a divorce and had other problems -- so he didn't come back.

Last year another friend put up a tree stand but only came out a few times. He seemed interested in shooting a trophy buck, while I was just interested in eliminating most of the deer.

So, I'm looking for advice. I need some kind of plan to shoot the deer (someone else to shoot -- not me). I live in a place where guns cannot be discharged. Deer must be hunted with bows or cross bows.

One hunter isn't enough to take care of my deer problem -- we have dozens. There is a time period where does have no limit -- I guess because we are covered up.

By now, you probably realize that I'm not a hunter -- never hunted a day in my 57 years.

Are any of you familiar with folks who allow friends to come hunt for individual weeks. I was thinking about putting up a tree stand and inviting friends to shoot all of the deer they care to shoot for specific weeks in the season.

I'm just looking for a few ideas -- have any?

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2007, 05:11 PM
B&C 180 Class

where do you live?
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 08-04-2007, 08:40 PM
Scrub Buck

sure wish i had that problem. Can anyone say backstraps! Chops?
Old 08-04-2007, 08:42 PM
Scrub Buck

Default Middle Tennessee

I live in middle TN. Almost thinking about buying a crossbow and giving this a try.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:46 PM
Scrub Buck

there ya go buckfever! That guys your man.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:49 PM
Scrub Buck

You could always hunt em yourself and donate the meat to the needy. Foodbanks always could use a helpin hand.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:14 AM

jwlinkin you have hit the jackpot. just let me know what town you live in and if your close to me i know myself and 2 of my friends would be more than happy to bring our bows to your land and take care of your deer problem. as long as i can get to your place within 45 mins or so we can prob put a dent in your deer herd problem in a couple weeks. and the guys i bring will respect and take care of your place also.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:20 AM

i googled your name and am guessing you live in the nashville, franklin, brentwood area. i hope im wrong and your a little closer to winchester tn. but if im not i will see if we can make a couple trips up there and help you out. you can private message me if you dont want to list any personal info about your address and phone number in the forums

Last edited by buckfever; 08-05-2007 at 09:39 AM.
Old 08-05-2007, 07:28 PM
B&C 100 Class

Thats a turrible problem ta have.Just wish I was closer so I could help to.You don't have any relatives in texas do ya? j/k
Rock
Old 08-06-2007, 09:32 AM

Myself and jwlinkin are currently private messaging about his deer problem. I will keep yall posted of the outcome of this. I will consider myself lucky if it works out. I am used to having to pay to hunt private land. Now I may be able to do it for free and help someone out. Kinda neat.