Deer Hunting Forums

Deer Hunting Forums (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/)
-   Bow Hunting (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/bow-hunting/)
-   -   Need Advice -- Too Many Deer (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/bow-hunting/575-need-advice-too-many-deer.html)

jwlinkin 08-04-2007 11:35 AM

Need Advice -- Too Many Deer

We live on 5 acres -- kind of suburbs, but the acreage around me on 3 sides is undeveloped -- about half wooded. So, the deer have plenty of places to live, but no one is hunting. We have dozens of deer.

The deer are eating everything. This year we had a very late freeze which killed all of the flowers on the oak trees. There won't be mast this year, so devastation from the deer will be especially bad this year.

A few years ago, I invited a friend to hunt. He put up a tree stand came out a few times and shot 7 deer. He got a divorce and had other problems -- so he didn't come back.

Last year another friend put up a tree stand but only came out a few times. He seemed interested in shooting a trophy buck, while I was just interested in eliminating most of the deer.

So, I'm looking for advice. I need some kind of plan to shoot the deer (someone else to shoot -- not me). I live in a place where guns cannot be discharged. Deer must be hunted with bows or cross bows.

One hunter isn't enough to take care of my deer problem -- we have dozens. There is a time period where does have no limit -- I guess because we are covered up.

By now, you probably realize that I'm not a hunter -- never hunted a day in my 57 years.

Are any of you familiar with folks who allow friends to come hunt for individual weeks. I was thinking about putting up a tree stand and inviting friends to shoot all of the deer they care to shoot for specific weeks in the season.

I'm just looking for a few ideas -- have any?

Thanks,

joel the signman 08-04-2007 05:11 PM

where do you live?

jammin jimi 08-04-2007 08:40 PM

sure wish i had that problem. Can anyone say backstraps! Chops?:w00t:

jwlinkin 08-04-2007 08:42 PM

Middle Tennessee

I live in middle TN. Almost thinking about buying a crossbow and giving this a try.

jammin jimi 08-04-2007 08:46 PM

there ya go buckfever! That guys your man.

jammin jimi 08-04-2007 08:49 PM

You could always hunt em yourself and donate the meat to the needy. Foodbanks always could use a helpin hand.:thumbup:

buckfever 08-05-2007 09:14 AM

jwlinkin you have hit the jackpot. just let me know what town you live in and if your close to me i know myself and 2 of my friends would be more than happy to bring our bows to your land and take care of your deer problem. as long as i can get to your place within 45 mins or so we can prob put a dent in your deer herd problem in a couple weeks. and the guys i bring will respect and take care of your place also.

buckfever 08-05-2007 09:20 AM

i googled your name and am guessing you live in the nashville, franklin, brentwood area. i hope im wrong and your a little closer to winchester tn. but if im not i will see if we can make a couple trips up there and help you out. you can private message me if you dont want to list any personal info about your address and phone number in the forums

rockman57 08-05-2007 07:28 PM

Thats a turrible problem ta have.Just wish I was closer so I could help to.You don't have any relatives in texas do ya? j/k
Rock

buckfever 08-06-2007 09:32 AM

Myself and jwlinkin are currently private messaging about his deer problem. I will keep yall posted of the outcome of this. I will consider myself lucky if it works out. I am used to having to pay to hunt private land. Now I may be able to do it for free and help someone out. Kinda neat.