Using Range Finders? - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Bow Hunting
Bow Hunting Discuss Bow Season topics

Old 01-09-2010, 12:19 PM
Scrub Buck

Default Using Range Finders?

How many of you use range finders? Mine doesn't fiqure the angle in. Anybody got advise to fiqure actual distance when in tree? Shot over a bucks back! Range finder said 22 I shot 20 must have been closer! Hate to have to buy another one!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2010, 12:40 PM
ronn

Exclamation I think we were mean

I think we were meant to be 'blog'friends...i just hopped on over from Jessie's blog "mix and match" and necitod that you did a guest post for elizabeth at the little black door (so did I)! I'm your newest follower...and Love the butterflies!!!

Last edited by Satyanarayana; 04-19-2014 at 03:50 AM. Reason: GLzdEWWvhtKcXUHUm
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:09 PM
B&C 140 Class

i also use the bushnell 1500 with arc. i range things in the area. have never put the rangefinder on an animal yet.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:11 PM
B&C 140 Class

I just use a Nikon ProStaff 550 without the arc. I haven't used it on an animal yet but it seems accurate.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:55 PM
Scrub Buck

check this out you wont be sorry Love mine Dead On Range Finder - Home
Old 06-29-2010, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big 10 View Post
How many of you use range finders? Mine doesn't fiqure the angle in. Anybody got advise to fiqure actual distance when in tree? Shot over a bucks back! Range finder said 22 I shot 20 must have been closer! Hate to have to buy another one!
The Actual distance is the distance the range finder is calculating for you....
Whether you're ranging from the ground or a tree the rangefinder doesn't know you're elevated so the calculated distance is going to measure accurately using a "Line of sight measure"

the following information comes from bowhunter-ed.com

Judging Distances

When judging distance from a tree stand, use the horizontal distance, not the greater diagonal distance. In this diagram you should aim for 12 yards, not 13 yards.
To calculate the horizontal distance a from a tree stand to a target, with b being the height of your tree stand and c being the diagonal distance to a target (you can establish this number using a range finder), use this simple formula:

For example, if the treestand is 5 yards above the ground and the diagonal distance to your target is 13 yards, then the horizontal distance is calculated as follows:

Old 06-29-2010, 06:39 AM
B&C 140 Class

I have always wondered why people worried about this. Using Bruces example, at 20 yards, the difference between line of sight and horizontal distance is less than a yard. The farther out you get, the smaller that difference becomes. With today's bows, what difference does that make? Virtually none. And anyway, who cares what the horizontal distance is? you're not shooting horizontal but actual line of sight, so what your range finder shows you should be right on. Think about it..........
Old 06-29-2010, 08:41 AM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Man View Post
I have always wondered why people worried about this. Using Bruces example, at 20 yards, the difference between line of sight and horizontal distance is less than a yard. The farther out you get, the smaller that difference becomes. With today's bows, what difference does that make? Virtually none. And anyway, who cares what the horizontal distance is? you're not shooting horizontal but actual line of sight, so what your range finder shows you should be right on. Think about it..........
Did you even read the post just before yours?? Actual science makes more sense than "just think about it"
Old 06-29-2010, 09:09 AM
B&C 120 Class

This looks like a typical Physics problems! How technical you get depends on how accurate you want your shot to be.

The simplest way to see the differences is to set a target up in a plcae that you can shhot at it from ground level and an eleavated stand using the same pin. I use my back porch for this as it is much easier then climbing in and out of a tree stand.

If you want to test it mathematically you can set up a spreadsheet using simple Physic equations and see what the differences would be. Knowing the math will help you fully undertand the shot and should make you more confidant. I will consider posting more if i get the time to look into it more.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:58 AM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexj View Post
Did you even read the post just before yours?? Actual science makes more sense than "just think about it"
Yea I read it. My point was, with the speed of todays bows will 1 yard in Bruces example, really make a difference? No. Not if you can hit the bullseye within an inch or 2. If the shooter pulls the shot, it doesn't matter what the distance is or what the rangefinder says. And the farther the distance from the tree, the less that difference is. At 20 yards the difference between horizontal distance and the line of sight is .6 yards or 21". Not enough to make that much of a difference. An easy way to see this is shoot at a target 20 yards away, then back up 21" and shoot again. There will not be that much difference. It's been my experience that shooting from an elevated position, I shoot high. And the higher in elevation you go, the worse that gets. but that opens up another can of worms. In my opinion, the angle adjustment or compensation on rangefinders for bowhunting is not what it's cracked up to be. Thnik about it.