Using Range Finders? - Page 3 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Bow Hunting
Bow Hunting Discuss Bow Season topics

Old 06-29-2010, 06:29 PM
ronn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Man View Post
So, the question is, Will the angle compensation rangefinders solve the problem?
yes. mine will say its 49 yards, actual from my eye to the target, but shoots like 40 using the a2+b2=c2 formula to arrive at 40. so i see 2 numbers

that 49 but shoot like 40 is a real life example from one of my stands.

Last edited by ronn; 06-29-2010 at 06:50 PM.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2010, 08:55 PM
B&C 100 Class

I don't do a lot of archery any more since I took up upland bird hunting even though I buy a tag every year in case I tag out early with a firearm. I do own a range finder and use it mostly for long range shots out past 300 yards to 700 yards with my 300 win mg or 22-250. It's my belief that lots of practice shooting the distances you are capable of is the main thing. You must all so practice judging distance all the time . God forbid that your battery dies in the range finder.Basics , basics, basics we all rely on to much technology. I guess I'm showing my age ,what did we do before range finders ?
Old 06-29-2010, 10:08 PM
ronn

Exclamation Oh, I love that! Ac

Oh, I love that! Actually, a girlfriend and I were shpoping about a month ago and she lost her keys. We spent over 30 minutes in the rain trying to find them. Finally, I had to crawl under her Honda and find the hidey-hole place where her spare key was stashed. Well, after getting completely filthy, we hopped in her car and were off. Oh yeah, the next stop she found her keys in her purse! Urg!Lisa

Last edited by Raissa; 04-19-2014 at 10:37 AM. Reason: xlocIqSZbV
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:39 AM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
yes. mine will say its 49 yards, actual from my eye to the target, but shoots like 40 using the a2+b2=c2 formula to arrive at 40. so i see 2 numbers

that 49 but shoot like 40 is a real life example from one of my stands.
Still baffles me.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:46 AM
B&C 160 Class

SM look at it like this; say you are standing on the ground shooting at three targets. The 15 yd is on the bulls eye, the 20 yd the arrow drops say 1", and at thirty yard say the arrow drops 3".

Now you shoot the same targets from a stand 20' high. As you climb the tree the flight of the arrow is a longer distance to the targets but the drop on the arrow is the same as it was at the base of the tree.

Theoretically even if you climbed to a height where the flight of the arrow was 30 yards to the 15 yard target you would still select your 15 yard pin. All because the distance straight out is still only 15 yards and gravity only effects the arrow on that 15 yard horizontal plane and not on the 30 yard flight that has the 15 yard horizontal plus 15 yard vertical.

Once again if you use a rangefinder and take your ranges straight out to a tree trunk instead of down on the ground it won't be an issue.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:00 PM

Well the best answer really is save your money buy the cheap bushnell 45o sport like I have & hunt from a blind no need for all the quantom physics, algebra or whatever geeze by the time this redneck (ME) figures all that out I will be into spring turkey season & the deer will probably be winter kill just waiting for me to figure that all out
Old 07-21-2010, 07:17 PM
B&C 160 Class

Dang is there rednecks in NH? who would have thunk it.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:00 PM

Buckshot not a true redneck but more like a redneck at heart or a state of mind but I will tell you I shure feel like one with all this math luckily I am not keen on heights so when I do treestand it I don't go much more then 12 feet or so. My cheap bushnell has not failed me yet
Old 07-21-2010, 10:12 PM
B&C 100 Class

I am probably in the minority here, but I never felt like a rangefinder was necessary, unless you are taking shots over 35 yards and the arrow starts dropping more. I have one pin to keep it simple. The only distance I have to estimate is 25 yards. I hold dead on from 5 to 25 yards weather I'm in a tree or on the ground and it will be a kill shot. If the deer is 25 to 35 yards, I just hold a little high. OK, I need to know approximately 35 yards, too, and thats my limit.

Like Southern Man, I realize that there is a differnce in an 18 yard shot compaired to a 24 yard shot, but come on, not much. Unless your trying to sneak it through a 2" opening (who would? ) then it doesn't matter.

I know that a lot of guys can shoot accurately beyond 40 yards, but I'm not one of them. I just feel there are a lot more things to go wrong on the longer shots (besides my accuracy) like wind, more reaction time for the deer, unseen twigs.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:35 AM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparta mi dlv View Post
I am probably in the minority here, but I never felt like a rangefinder was necessary, unless you are taking shots over 35 yards and the arrow starts dropping more. I have one pin to keep it simple. The only distance I have to estimate is 25 yards. I hold dead on from 5 to 25 yards weather I'm in a tree or on the ground and it will be a kill shot. If the deer is 25 to 35 yards, I just hold a little high. OK, I need to know approximately 35 yards, too, and thats my limit.

Like Southern Man, I realize that there is a differnce in an 18 yard shot compaired to a 24 yard shot, but come on, not much. Unless your trying to sneak it through a 2" opening (who would? ) then it doesn't matter.

I know that a lot of guys can shoot accurately beyond 40 yards, but I'm not one of them. I just feel there are a lot more things to go wrong on the longer shots (besides my accuracy) like wind, more reaction time for the deer, unseen twigs.
My son and I are making a 20' shooting platform to test all this stuff out. I want to see for myself.