Whats better a mechanical or fixed broadhead? - Page 3 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Bow Hunting
Bow Hunting Discuss Bow Season topics

Old 05-30-2010, 11:49 AM
ronn

most retractables have some type of practice point. the main reason i can think of is planeing with the old fixed blade. they pretty much whipped that with the newer shapes and cutouts on the new ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predator View Post
Call it ignorance on my part then, but if not to imitate the flight and tragectory of a field point. what is the rational reason for even using a retractable broadhead?

Last edited by ronn; 05-30-2010 at 11:52 AM.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2010, 03:33 PM
B&C 140 Class

I like the dependability of the g5 montec broadheads. at least for the compound I did. Not sure what I will use with the recurve... prolly the same.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:07 PM
B&C 160 Class

Default slick tricks

Purchased 100 grain slick tricks for my reezen gonna try and switch to a fixed head.Curious about opinions or results from anybody who has used them.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:34 PM

In all due respect, I don't see how a mechanical broad head can give better penetration when it has to expell some of its energy expanding while going through an animal. This is not a condemnation as I have seen the damage that mechanical broad heads due, but to say they are better than fixed broad heads goes a bit too far. Just use what works best for you.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:20 AM
B&C 140 Class

fixed blade or expandable, it dont matter if you hit the lungs or heart. the animal is going down.

Now I will admit, I have heard of and seen some really bad hits with the rage expandables and the deer was recovered. I would not have placed bets on that no matter the odds having seen the shot placement.

And I have on several occasions been tempted to try the rages. several different reasons have stopped me every time. the most complelling is justifying spending the extra cash at this time and the fact that if my shots are true, I dont need them.

Besides, I have seen the devistating entry wounds the rages produce. sometime I would like to tan a hide and large holes some how would detract estetically.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:11 AM
B&C 160 Class

Default Broadheads

I have shot spitfires for yrs never had a problem.Last yr shot a nice 8 pt with a rage.I was impressed with the exit hole.It was a perfect double lung clean pass thru.My problem with the rage is the quality,the blades were destroyed after this hit.If this deer was shot with a spitfire i could of just put that head back in the quiver.They do do a good job but for the money i am not impressed with the quality.Now i c they make a sturdier version (titanium) for 85$ for 3 (lol).I was aking about slick tricks because they are razor sharp and have a good following.Although i shoot mechanicals if you can find a fixed that flies true i believe you are better off.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:21 AM

I have shot Muzzy broad heads for years and like them. Last year I made a poor shoulder hit with a 3 blade Rage and lost the buck. My fault, but I think maybe the Muzzy would have done the job as the buck was only 8 yds. That was the first deer I shot with the Rage and it was a bad hit and only 4" of penetration. On perfect broadside shots the Rage does an great job. I haven't made any decision regarding which I will use this season.
Old 07-20-2010, 04:01 PM
B&C 160 Class

Default broadheads

It was the 2 blade rage i used and while it did its job it was destroyed.Gonna send a pic of that b-head,but i left it in the shed at cabin.There is no way the blades should of been that tore up it was double lung.I also didnt like the fact that the rages will open and come loose in your quiver.In my opinion spitfires,wasps,sonoran(now called swacker)have been doing what the rage does for yrs.The rage however had some huge names and marketing behind it.Dont no how they fly yet but the slick tricks i got are the sharpest from the factory i have ever scene.You are nervous putting em together!
Old 07-20-2010, 04:48 PM
ronn

someone said that rage, being like a barb on a hook, or any broadhead that acts like a bow fishing broadhead couldn't be used in ny. didn't make much sense to me but thats what was said. i don't know.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:35 PM

I saw the rage take out 2 bucks last year, the combined drop yardage didn't exceed 30 yds. Both of the bucks were double lung hits. I'm going to to have to decide what to use this fall. My instincts say go back to the Muzzys??? I've got time to think.