Tips Please???? - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Bow Hunting
Bow Hunting Discuss Bow Season topics

Old 12-21-2009, 07:43 PM
Scrub Buck

Default Tips Please????

i really need some tips on how to control myself when i get those good bucks walk in to my shooting lanes..... i keep missing

Can anyone help???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2009, 07:50 PM
ronn

don't shoot at the deer. shoot at the spot where you want the arrow to go. I wish i could follow my own advise, it seems to be my biggest issue as well. i've thought about putting a little sign on my sights saying shoot the spot not the deer.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 08:27 PM
B&C 100 Class

missionx4,
I just shot a deer last month for the first time out of a tree stand. I've shot them from the ground before but it's the first time out of a tree stand. I thought my heart was going to literally explode out of my chest. Mind you this was rifle hunting not bow hunting. The shot was only about 20 yards. I think I'm going to try bow hunting next year and I'm not sure how I'm going to keep that bow from shaking all over the place. I guess that's what hunting is all about!!

Jimbo
Old 12-21-2009, 11:40 PM

When I first started bow hunting i shook so bad I'd lower the bow and just yell at the deer to go. The more you are around deer the better it gets. Thats good advice from ronn, forget the whole deer, think where you're going to shoot. It's really a mind over matter thing, self control. Easier said than done but time does help. When a deer is approaching I start the auto control system, pick a spot in my shooting lane where I want to shoot, smoothe draw and release, knowing I'm hidden in full camo helps, when the time comes pick the spot on the deer concentrate on the mechanics you've practiced all summer and success. You can always shake when the shooting is done....
Old 12-22-2009, 05:37 AM
Scrub Buck

thanks..... well i did put i sign up on my bow that i can see through my peep that says stay calm pick a spot... thnks everyone
Old 12-22-2009, 06:23 AM
B&C 140 Class

You are missing because you do not have complete confidence in your shot. Personally I don't buy this buck fever stuff. The shaking is from lack of confidence so practise more----a lot more until you know when the pin settles a deer is going to take a dirt nap. Calm comes from confidence, confidence comes from practise.
Old 12-22-2009, 03:49 PM
Scrub Buck

I have to disagree with you on that. I've been bow hunting for 13 years and i still the shakes when i see the buck come into my lane..but practice does make perfect!!
Old 12-27-2009, 10:30 AM
Scrub Buck

I have been hunting for 30 years and I still get the shakes untill I take the shot. If that ever goes away I will be done hunting.
Wheb I see a big buck that I want to try and get a shot I dont look at the deer I find the spot and keep my focus and do not look at the horns, keep your mind on that spot. And yes shoot and shoot some more untill the bow feels like its a part of you.
Best of Luck
Old 12-27-2009, 01:42 PM
B&C 100 Class

I think the shakes and heart pounding is what drives us to hunt in the first place. The rush is something that has to be experienced!!

Jimbo
Old 12-27-2009, 02:50 PM

I'm with you guys, if I didn't get that big rush then I quit hunting too. You just gotta be able to control it. Also, if hunting was simply killing, I'd also quit. Hunting is everything combined, a package of experiences so to speak and the anticipation of something new and sharing those experiences with others that make it special.