Question - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Bow Hunting
Bow Hunting Discuss Bow Season topics

Old 02-19-2008, 09:13 AM
B&C 180 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berk View Post
If its practical you can try bringing the deer target you practice on and use as a decoy.
With no horns and some doe scent it might work or with horns during the prerut you might have some luck.
just be careful if you are not hunting private property put some blaze orange on the the decoy to prevent it getting shot at by others.Some "hunters"do stupid things.I just read where some goose hunters were shot by someone shooting into their decoy spread
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2008, 10:57 AM
B&C 100 Class

Great advice I should have said that also.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:47 AM
B&C 100 Class

What is your set up? Fields, bedding area, rub lines, scrapes or travel routes?
Old 02-19-2008, 05:25 PM
B&C 180 Class

we're ALL here to help
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 02-19-2008, 07:30 PM

Make sure that you break up your outline. I like to use pine boughs so that even the two legged critters will walk by and never know I'm right above them. Scent control, and careful scouting should put you in business. Also, I move my stand as we play the chess game. It might only be 10 yds but sometimes that's the trick. Very rarely do deer ever know I'm in the area. It takes effort but bowhunters usually do.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:56 PM
B&C 180 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunting Man View Post
Make sure that you break up your outline. I like to use pine boughs so that even the two legged critters will walk by and never know I'm right above them. Scent control, and careful scouting should put you in business. Also, I move my stand as we play the chess game. It might only be 10 yds but sometimes that's the trick. Very rarely do deer ever know I'm in the area. It takes effort but bowhunters usually do.
I'll find my self sitting in a stand and noticing a better spot over there at the end of the day i climb down and move the climber and start over .like ya said sometimes 10yrds makes all the difference on how they present the shot
Old 02-20-2008, 01:34 AM
B&C 100 Class

where i am in ohio i mostly hunt over fields and staging areas. with the right wind i see alot of deer but not the bucks im looking for. i like to shoot does and let the small bucks walk.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:16 AM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berk View Post
where i am in ohio i mostly hunt over fields and staging areas. with the right wind i see alot of deer but not the bucks im looking for. i like to shoot does and let the small bucks walk.
If you are hunting the staging area just outside of the fields you are hunting the wrong area. You need to hunt the staging area that is right next to bedding. If you are not sure what I mean now is the time of year to locate them. Just back track towards bedding and you will find them. They are usually smaller in size and sheltered from veiw. Once you see one you will know what I'm talking about. This is the area that bucks primarily scent check does. If it is buck bedding big bucks will hang up here until after dark. Most times there will be sign post rubs or a small group of larger rubs here. The reason for this is the testosterone build up of the buck while at rest and his sign to other bucks to stay out. Since you are usually right up against the bedding area they can be very tricky to hunt. Regardless of scent control wind is your biggest factor. Stealth is an understatement but it can be done. You are going to get busted half the time but payoffs will be much greater and mature buck sightings will go way up compared to the other areas you have been hunting. In early season hunting in the afternoons are best because unless you can be in your tree several hours before visable light mature bucks will already be there bedding up. Besides the rut these areas will be your number one spot for taking mature bucks consistantly. Important if you do hunt them early plan to stay all day. Bucks will get up midday for a stretch and possibly relocate within this area allowing for a shot. Hope this helps.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:35 AM
B&C 180 Class

good post wmi.. i got one suggestion though hunting the bedding area will cause them to flee the area if you get busted .ya might want to hunt the trail to the bedding area. i would save the bedding area hunt for a last chance type hunt .Thats just my opinion
Old 02-20-2008, 11:12 AM
B&C 140 Class

There are several books and videos I will suggest to you that can help you understand trophy bucks and their movements.
Books: Mapping Trophy Bucks by Brad Herndon
Advanced Stand-Hunting Strategies by Steve Bartylla
Videos: Invading Big Buck Bedding Areas/ BKS Roger Raglin
Hunting Night Club Zones/BKS Roger Raglin
Hunting Marsh Bucks/Bloodbro.com
All of these discribe this hunting tactic in detail as well as all of the do's and don'ts. The info found in these videos and books will put you on the fast track of harvesting mature bucks. Keep in mind most hunters want to kill big bucks but don't really understand that it is a lot of work with little room for error to do it consistantly. It does not matter how good a hunter you are you will have good and bad years but with the right knowledge and approach you will really up your odds. We as hunters can never stop learning.