The Barta way - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Bow Hunting
Bow Hunting Discuss Bow Season topics

Old 11-30-2009, 05:15 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default The Barta way

Well, I have decided to hunt the hard way, the Barta way for the rest of the season. I will be shooting off the ground with the recurve. Spot and stalk, face paint, no homemade wooden arrows though...I don't have those skillz. Just looking for a challenge this december, and thought this sounded fun. We'll see if this 192lbs. of blue twisted steel can run an arrow through a deer with the recurve.
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2009, 05:33 PM
B&C 100 Class

good luck to you. That sounds fun. In nc we have been in gun season since oct 15, and I havent even taken it out of the closet. Had too much fun with the challenge of bow hunting and having one come in within yards. Its exhilirating
Old 11-30-2009, 06:14 PM
ronn

yea,,,,,,,,,,,,, I don't think i got what it takes to deal with that. first off I can't hit a wall if i were standing in the building with out sights. enjoy. hope it works out for ya.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 12:54 PM

You are the man. I have not the patience or the skill level to hunt this way. Good luck!!
Old 12-03-2009, 10:28 AM
B&C 140 Class

Oh, come on guys...it doesn't take skill, just repetition. My comfy yardage right now is only about 12 yards. That does limit the shot opportunities, but still should be good. Anyone can use a recurve or longbow...just learn how to gap shoot. It's fun.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:27 PM

The skill would not be what got me.. It would be the patience.. I am the first to admit I am probably the worlds worst hunter off the ground.. Cant sit long and move to much. Put me in a stand and all that changes. Ill sit till the buzzards start circling my head.

Im sure the recurve/longbow would be a blast to shoot.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:08 PM
B&C 180 Class

cool hope ya get one im ground hunting if i get out this year
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 12-04-2009, 08:40 AM
B&C 140 Class

It takes a little planning, but ground blinds can be just as comfy as the treestand. I will usually carry a folding chair and use a ground blind made of the natural cover. Sometimes this is just cutting a hole in a red cedar tree, and sometimes it uses an oak (especially the ones with multiple trunks work well). Bushes, clumps of saplings, stumps, whatever cover is available will work. Where I bowhunt is down in the canyon with the oak leaves about a foot thick this time of year, so it is important to be there early, but those leaves are also an early warning device for approaching deer.
Old 12-04-2009, 02:20 PM
B&C 180 Class

the kid in me loves to build ground blinds,fort anyone?.i have some great ones scattered about i carry a small folding stool that a tripod style from ameristep. i used to use buckets but they crack from the cold and get taken plus i dont want to encourage someone to use my spot by giving them a seat i try to take advantage of boulders and deadfalls,then i build em up with all the downed wood.i build em after the season when im doing my late winter scouting,gives the deer pleanty of time to get used to the setup.i got an old pearson longbow i would love to try hunting with,just worried it might snap and it was given to me by someone who has long since passed away soooo
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 12-07-2009, 01:14 PM
B&C 140 Class

Spent the weekend building ground blinds in a couple spots, and also ended up moving two tree stands in for closer shots. Looking forward to getting my first with the recurve. I have hunted with it for years, and only got comfortable with one shot (then I hit a branch). Maybe this will be my year. I have some good places for spot and stalk for the days that has a chance to work, but I will plan on spending time waiting in the stands too.