First Deer! Spiked Buck! - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Bow Hunting
Bow Hunting Discuss Bow Season topics

Old 10-10-2009, 09:13 PM
Scrub Buck

Default First Deer! Spiked Buck!

Hello everyone. Just registered here. Well do I have a story for you!
I just went over to my uncle's this morning. Got out in the woods and on the backside of this pond levy bout half an hour before sunrise. Well I picked me out a spot and decided to sit down. Bad choice. Got my butt all wet and stuff. So then I decided to stand up. That was a little better.
Well while I was waiting for a monster buck that has been roaming around the area (16 point monster. big basket rack) I see these turkeys fly off of a nearby tree. "Cool," I think silently to myself. "At least I've seen some kind of animal besides a squirrel."
I'm bout ready to turn in and am starting to wonder if deer hunting is the thing for me. (It was my first time hunting deer).
All of a sudden, this buck comes in right off to my right. Not ten yards downwind. Scared the crap outa me. Well since there was a lota stuff down from the ice storm, I didn't have a really clear shot. It started to walk away, so I though, "Now or never." Decided to take a thirty yard shot even thought I've only had my first bow for two days shy of a month. Hit a tree since my window of opportunity was about the size of a softball. Spooked it so it started to run them came back.
OK? Well I decided to start walking toward it. Crazy? Ya. Well long story short, a coyote came up twenty yards to my right while the deer was staring me down. We both watched it. That deer must've stared me down for an hour before I got a shot off at it.
Bad shot. Hit it in the front of the shoulder blade, ricocheted off of it and went straight through its lungs and put it down after it ran bout fifty yards off.
Had to hurry up on that last part there. Have to get off the computer.
If any one wants me to elaborate on any of this, just let me know, I'd be happy to. Thanks for reading about my little experience.

Nathan

Last edited by BruceBruce1959; 10-10-2009 at 09:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2009, 06:04 AM

I'm glad you got your deer but... your story would not be one that young archers should follow. A 30 yd shot with only a softball sized window and only 30 days of shooting! This was a shot for disaster. Everyone who archery hunts will have a bad experience on an errant arrow, but I hope you sit back and ponder the two shots you took and Monday morning quarterback those and say maybe I should have waited or even let him pass for the day. Shot patience is the toughest part of archery hunting in my opinion, the animal deserves, from us hunters, for a well placed shot and a quick death. Take your time be patient and practice so that when the time comes it will become an automatic responce from the shooter. I hope for your continued hunting success. HM
Old 10-11-2009, 08:41 AM

Welcome to the site Bowmaster. Good posting HM and I am glad that you did get the deer too and it sounded like a pretty cool adventure with all those animals out there with you.
Old 10-11-2009, 12:00 PM
B&C 160 Class

good post HM i wanted to post some thing like that but didnet want to come off the wrong way. i dont think many experianced hunters would have taken that shot even if they could shoot good enuff to pull it off.
Old 10-11-2009, 12:19 PM
Scrub Buck

Sorry bout the unconvential shot there, but you have to realize the confidence that I'd have to have to take a shot like that and risk injuring the deer. I might have only had my bow for a month but I'm shooting targets about the size of my window of opportunity at thirty yards.

At twenty yards, I usually hit a softball sized target all day. At thirty, not as consistantly at twenty, but still 95 percent of the time. And I shoot a lot.

I hate to sound like I'm bragging, but I have an unnatural talent for shooting a bow. That was actually part of my reason for buying my Hoyt Powerhawk in the first place. I'm shooting at sixty pounds right now. And when I started shooting, I could only pull back fifty twice. I can shoot a sixty all day long now. Like I said, I have a pure talent for it.

I hate to argue with you guys like this, especially since you all have way more experience than I do, but, and I'm very ashamed to say this, I don't take critisizm (if that's how you spell that) very well sometimes. I do most of the time, but not all.

Anyways, thanks for the posts. Like I always say, "The more the merrier."
Old 10-12-2009, 12:31 PM
Scrub Buck

Default Proof

Here's the proof that I wasn't exaggerating about being able to shoot small groupings at thirty yards after having my bow for only a month.

This is two shots at thirty yards. And the four other arrows that are laying on the ground in the pictures were also in the center circle which, in fact, is abouth the size of a baseball. Yes, a baseball. I've played baseball for nine years, so I should know. I shoot baseball sized groupings at both twenty and thirty yards after shooting for only a month in my entire life.

Sorry for bragging, but I'm so excited at my improvement over such a short time. Now here's for the proof. These are pictures of my thirty yard shots that I'm so psyched about.

.................................................. ............ Oh I'm so embarrassed. I can't seem to figure out how to post pictures. Well I know how to email them so if anyone wants to see my split, yes split arrow at thirty yards, tell me your e mail address on a reply here and I'll email you some pictures of it. It split the knock in half and the shaft of the other arrow is inside the shaft of the first.

Sorry for bragging so much and then not showing. Like I said, just put your e mail address on a reply so that I can e mail you pictures. That is if you want to see that I'm not just all mouth and no game. LOL. Well sorry again about all this. LOL.

Replies welcome.............. Please.
Old 10-13-2009, 03:36 PM
B&C 180 Class

im guessing your kinda young,how old are ya?
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 10-13-2009, 03:51 PM

Just a bit over the top I think, I really don't know what to think. The only thing I can say is I wouldn't have taken the shot you did. I try to take only good shots resulting in clean quick kills, that should be everyone's goal. Sometimes it doesn't go that way then it becomes a long tracking marathon. I would suggest you keep practicing at a 3-D target and watch those shot angles on live animals.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:49 PM
B&C 100 Class

16 or 20 at the most(my guess)

I usually don't read the bow hunting forum. Man have I been missing out.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:12 PM
Scrub Buck

Exclamation

This is my first year hunting as well but I know enough not to take that shot . And at a spike ????? In another 4-5 yrs he could have been a real bruiser . I hope next time you take a minute to think things through a little better !