Bare String Vs Loop - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Bow Hunting
Bow Hunting Discuss Bow Season topics

Old 03-30-2009, 11:13 AM
B&C 100 Class

Default Bare String Vs Loop

I switched from bare string to using a loop years ago at the recommendation of my bowsmith. I think the reason had something to do with reducing pinch or torque on the string when I was at something other than the optimal shooting pistion. This happens more often while hunting than I would like to experience. I'm thinking about going back to the bare string because I liked the rock solid anchor feeling I used to get and to gain back that inch of draw which affected my speed. I doo use an articulating release to cut down on any twist. It may be moot to most of you guys, but I have my reason. It might be the difference in me eating venison Vs the coyote. Just curious what others think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2009, 12:42 PM
ronn

it sounds like you made up your mind already but i believe its a mistake. the d loop keeps your arrow centered where going to the serving puts downward pressure on the arrow that means your rest is more of a factor. d loop saves your serving. and with the right release you can get back that 1". my 2cents
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 02:05 PM
B&C 100 Class

Thanks ronn, I hadn't made up my mind, yet. I was trying to talk myself out of it and you helped. Hey, two cents was all the old woman had, but it was the best offering of the day.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:41 PM
ronn

haha my release can shorten and lengthen. not sure want kind it is.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:37 PM
Unregistered

Default bowsmith

i have a longbow from my grandfather. it was made in 64. today i bought a string for it that the woman at the archery shop said would be the right size. i started to pull it back and then it got a crack through the pressure zone where the handle is. it is a beautiful bow. is there a bowsmith or somebody in NH, preferably near claremont that would be able to fix it? if you could call me with details it would be greatly appreciated. my number is 6034779115. thank you so much
Old 09-02-2010, 04:48 PM
ronn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
i have a longbow from my grandfather. it was made in 64. today i bought a string for it that the woman at the archery shop said would be the right size. i started to pull it back and then it got a crack through the pressure zone where the handle is. it is a beautiful bow. is there a bowsmith or somebody in NH, preferably near claremont that would be able to fix it? if you could call me with details it would be greatly appreciated. my number is 6034779115. thank you so much
sorry but i can't think of any one local. let my ask around. i know a couple trad shooters that may be able to help. keep checking back i'll post what i find.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:56 PM

I always worry that the repair(epoxy) doesn't go deep enough into the crack to make the bow shootable again. Also depends on the location of the crack and where the max stress pressure is. Even with a good repair and they will say the repair is stronger than the origional wood, maybe some thoughts on retiring it and enjoying it hanging on the wall. Just some thoughts.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:34 PM
B&C 140 Class

I've always used a string loop...I would never even considered using bare string.