Wait Just Wait - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Bow Hunting
Bow Hunting Discuss Bow Season topics

Old 11-29-2008, 01:44 PM
ronn

Default Wait Just Wait

I'm reading a lot of "I made a good shot" and tracked the deer for 200 yards, 500 yards, whatever. Guys, got to stay sitting and WAIT a minimum of 30 minutes after the hit and if its questionable, WAIT an hr before getting out of the tree or going to the arrow or anything. WAIT, JUST WAIT. deer will take off then try to find out what just happened. If you are up moving around looking for your arrow, climbing down the tree, or looking for blood and the deer spots you, its gone. if you sit still and it looks back to find out what happened it won't see you and will pay attention to its wound and may lay down right there. If you are pretty sure its a bad shot, after WAITING that hour, go to your arrow and see what it looks like. mark the spot and back out and WAIT for a few hours. Then go back and start slow tracking. Don't WAIT 5 mins or guess you WAITED 20 mins, look at your watch after you lose sight of the deer and time it. Even if you see the deer laying there, WAIT 30 mins minimum. The point?? WAIT in your stand after the shot for a minimum of 30 mins and there may be less lost deer. Can not stress it enough.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2008, 06:19 PM

I agree that a hunter should wait before heading after the deer BUT only certain conditions,
The hunt itself should determine how long to wait.
Many times the hunter is hunting public lands and a 30 minute wait puts that deer in front of, Lord knows how many other hunters
Even during an ideal hunt I dont think 30 minutes is really necessary I believe if a hunter needs to wait I think a Max. wait of 15 minutes is more than plenty of time.

Old 11-29-2008, 07:27 PM
ronn

no way. a 30 min wait will alllow the deer to die in 50 yards. go after it to soon and you'll be chasing lord knows how long. how many hunters are with in 50 yards verus 200 or 500 yards. read the posts of these guys chasing deer. this is with a bow which is where i put the thread. even if it is running and you can catch up to it, that would mean you are pretty fast guy, what are you going to do wing more arrows at a running deer?

or keep chasing don't mater to me.

Last edited by ronn; 11-29-2008 at 07:41 PM.
Old 11-29-2008, 08:18 PM

Another point with today's archery products, vanes,nocks ect, you should be able to see where you hit the animal and know how long to sit and wait. Someone is going to say my bow is too fast to see the arrow flight, possibly, but watch the hide impact location or watch for blood. I try to give well shot deer 20-30 minutes. Liver hit 3 hours, . If its raining or heavy snow coming down I get on them right away as the trail will be covered or washed away fast. If you jump a wounded deer back off and allow more time don't push it. I lost a buck in Nothern Michigan because I pushed it too soon and once it got back on it's feet it never stopped again. It was -10* and had layed down but I was to eager. A lot of times I'll take my stand down, head back to camp, change into lighter clothes, get some dragging help, then go after it. Be patient! Another good topic ronn.
Old 11-29-2008, 08:31 PM
ronn

thats a good way to give the deer the time to die. yeah foul weather is a tough one. I would still wait cause even if the shot was iffy it may lay down and stiffen up but not die. chances are, give it enough time and it'll be within 50 yards of where you shot it meaning you should be able to find it easier. If its running a marathon even before you get out of the stand chances are higher that you'll lose it no mater what.

The deer I got this season was a liver shot. Thought it was farther forward. I waited 30mins climbed down, went and changed the cards in my cameras checked on the other stand, all in the same woods, then went to find the arrow. total time 1 hr 15 mins. It was raining. found the blood trail half the arrow. blood trailed the deer to the last place i saw it and 5 yards farther under a hemlock he lay there dead. about 35 yards from where i shot. lessen learned.

Last edited by ronn; 11-29-2008 at 08:46 PM.
Old 11-29-2008, 09:29 PM

I kind of see your point. Once it initially lays down there's a great chance that that's where it will be unless pushed/bumped. But Bruce also has a great point about other hunters and HM with the weather. IDK but that is a hot topic. I give all bow hunters all the credit and respect in the world.
Old 11-30-2008, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
no way. a 30 min wait will alllow the deer to die in 50 yards. go after it to soon and you'll be chasing lord knows how long.
what are you going to do wing more arrows at a running deer?

or keep chasing don't mater to me.
if the deer dies within 50 yards, don't you think the hunter will see where it laid down???
Sorry ronn but your the poorly hit "wounded" deer episode doesn't ever play out that well.
We ALL know it takes a lot of trailing to locate a poorly hit animal
don't try to make it sound like the deer will die within "50" yards gimme a break.
and ronn don't ask me If winging arrows at deer is something I would do
There's a lot I can say to that but, I'll cut you some slack on that lame comment.

Old 11-30-2008, 07:25 AM
ronn

Wink Lookin good. I coul

Lookin good. I couldn't have ieimangd while growing up in San Francisco that I would ever own a gun and shoot a deer. But here I am in Idaho and you're in California. What a world. Love, Uncle Darrell

Last edited by Beryl; 04-19-2014 at 03:13 AM. Reason: Z7y6egZv
Old 11-30-2008, 09:37 AM
B&C 140 Class

I also wait 30 min ...or longer. By the time I get all the stuff packed up that I take with me and climb down, 30 min have passed....grins. Generally it's a on the spot descision, how I feel the shot was. I try to never assume the deer is down just right ahead. I always go cautiously and more or less "still hunt" til I find it.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:09 AM
B&C 140 Class

When I was in ILL. they showed a video of a doe being shot with a arrow. The shot was on the money and the doe ran about 25 yards and literally flipped over and laid down. The hunters with the camera rolling got down and walked to the doe. Well much to their surprise she got up and took off. It took a dog and 2 hours to track the doe that ran another 600 yards before expiring. These guys were professional hunters. The point of the video was even if you can see the deer give it time. When they cut the deer open they discovered that upon impact the arrow deflected off the rib and went down and out not just straight through. The arrow only got one lung. It surprised me because they were using lighted nocks and the shot was perfect.