Wait Just Wait - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Bow Hunting
Bow Hunting Discuss Bow Season topics

Old 12-01-2008, 06:00 AM
B&C 160 Class

If I hear a crash and kicking after a good shot I will go ahead and find the deer if that's what I need to do without waiting at all. If I don't hear a crash or don't feel good about the shot I will wait a couple of hours before I go look.

It just depends on the circumstances. 15 minutes or 30 minutes I don't see the difference. The deer is either dead or it's not and if it's not it will probably take much longer to die.

I do know that if I jump a wounded deer I back off for at least four hours before going back after it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2008, 08:47 AM

When I first started hunting with my uncle he always told me to wait at least 30 mins in the stand after a shot..

Now that im a bit older and and can tell how I hit the deer I can adjust that time. But for a newbie hunter I would go ahead and tell him to wait awhile before he gets down.

I was hunting with my uncle one morning and he shot a doe. It laid down right behind my stand. I could not see it but I could hear it struggling to breath. After about 10 mins it got quite and i figured it was dead so i started climbing down.. As soon as my feet hit the ground it jumped up and ran off.. We never found that deer. I dont know if 20 more mins would have made a difference but i would sure like to be able to go back and find out.

Very rarely am I able to see my deer after the shot.. I usually hear it crash though.

Its funny this topic was raised. I hunted with my bro-in-law the other day and he is a newbie.. Before I left him I told him the same thing that was passed down to me.. Wait 30 mins after the shot before you get down. And then I added to it. Text me and I will come to your stand.. Modern technolgy
Old 12-01-2008, 08:56 AM
B&C 140 Class

BUck fever I was always told that too. My first bowkill I shot was walking away from me , slightly quartering. I hit far back and angled up into the boiler room. He trotted a half circle, laid down 20 yards from me and died almost instantly. LOL, I didn't realise it and still waited 30 minutes, afraid to get down. He was dead when he hit the ground. A couple years later I shot a buck that bled like a stuck hog. I got down, went and got my father in law to help me. About an hour after the shot we trailed him for 400-500 yards and he was alive when we found him. Shot him again. He was too weak to get up after all that blood loss. Looked like you poured it out of a bucket. He would have died right where he was laying, but if I would have trailed him right after the shot, no tellin where he would have ran. I hit him in the chest also, but even tho it looked good, apparently it wasn't a perfect shot..........
Old 12-01-2008, 09:23 AM
B&C 140 Class

30 minutes has been the standard used by most orgs. and outfitters for a long time. Vast majority of the time I hear the deer go down even if not I wait my 30 min. then get down to look for what kind of blood I have, then go get my stuff together, take it back to the truck, get my cart or ATV and go back to start tracking. The reason I do all of this is just so I don't rush and in my mind the hunt is over at that time anyway so might as well get ready for the recovery. Just my way of doing things. I always have confidence in my equipment and shots that they hit the mark otherwise I would not have taken the shot in the first place. Doesn't mean it is always the right way but it works for me.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:29 AM

I've always been told 30 minutes also but I personally learned that
it isn't fun shooting deer so that other hunters can take them home. I've personally lost 2 nice bucks this way.

let me ask you guys, how would you handle shooting a deer, waiting the "std" 30 minutes, hearing another hunter shoot,
making your way to your deer only to see another hunter dressing it out? What would you do?

Old 12-01-2008, 09:47 AM
B&C 140 Class

I guess it depends on where you are hunting. I have had it happen to me once where all I found was a gut pile. That was a long time ago and worse it was a huge 10 point. All this said I have shot a ton of deer and can still count on one hand how many I did not recover. All of those were in my younger less experienced years as a hunter and probably could have done a better job on the shot. This is also why I shot deer with a gun through the shoulders because the further they run the higher the risk of a problem. Yea I know I destroy the meat but I always get my deer. Besides I like that WWF body slam.LOL With a bow I also always shoot for the pass thru. Many times the heart shot is NOT the best shot to take. Having a low exit hole makes for more success in tracking and less distance traveled by the animal. Most times under 80 yards or so. I believe most newer hunters do not think the shot through but just react. This in its self is a recipe for problems.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:55 AM

none of that answered the question, I really would like to know what you'd do if you found someone tagging your deer?
I've lost a 6 pointer and a heavy bodied 8 to other hunters, Lost the 6 when I was 15 and the 8 when I was 16, It isn't fun especially when that 6 was my first buck and then to lose the 8 the following year.
Since then I stopped waiting and haven't lost any.
So now some guy in Lincoln Vt. probably has my 6 on his wall and another guy in Warren Vt. probably mounted the 8 I shot for him, Hope they're proud of how they got their deer!

Old 12-01-2008, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBruce1959 View Post
let me ask you guys, how would you handle shooting a deer, waiting the "std" 30 minutes, hearing another hunter shoot,
making your way to your deer only to see another hunter dressing it out? What would you do?
I have no idea how I would handle that. Ive been blessed to be on private land and the deer drop on the same proberty that ive been hunting. It would prob not be pretty if I found someone else tagging my deer.

I guess if I was on public land and knew the deer was down I would be making a bee line for it.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:03 AM

well in Vt. the law is pretty much, whoever tags and dresses it gets it.

Old 12-01-2008, 12:17 PM
B&C 140 Class

If I had caught the hunter with my 10 point well I probably would not be posting now. It is a shame that in some areas you can't be off your guard for a moment without worrying about criminals like that. Here I thought only big cities had those kind of problems. With issues like that and the laws Vermont has pertaining to it anything they do well that would just nullify them to me. Sorry to here that you have to put up with people with such a lack of sportsmanship.