Deer Hunting Forums banner

Wait Just Wait

11K views 52 replies 11 participants last post by  Hunting Man 
G
#1 ·
I'm reading a lot of "I made a good shot" and tracked the deer for 200 yards, 500 yards, whatever. Guys, got to stay sitting and WAIT a minimum of 30 minutes after the hit and if its questionable, WAIT an hr before getting out of the tree or going to the arrow or anything. WAIT, JUST WAIT. deer will take off then try to find out what just happened. If you are up moving around looking for your arrow, climbing down the tree, or looking for blood and the deer spots you, its gone. if you sit still and it looks back to find out what happened it won't see you and will pay attention to its wound and may lay down right there. If you are pretty sure its a bad shot, after WAITING that hour, go to your arrow and see what it looks like. mark the spot and back out and WAIT for a few hours. Then go back and start slow tracking. Don't WAIT 5 mins or guess you WAITED 20 mins, look at your watch after you lose sight of the deer and time it. Even if you see the deer laying there, WAIT 30 mins minimum. The point?? WAIT in your stand after the shot for a minimum of 30 mins and there may be less lost deer. Can not stress it enough.

#29 ·
Yep, waiting even for rifle hunters is a good thing..... as in this story that was in todays paper:

Deer gets revenge after hunter shoots him

SEDALIA, Mo. (AP) -- A hunter bagged a big buck on the second day of firearms season, but the kill caused him a lot of pain. Randy Goodman, 49, said he thought two well-placed shots with his .270-caliber rifle had killed the buck on Nov. 19. Goodman said the deer looked dead to him, but seconds later the nine-point, 240-pound animal came to life.

The buck rose up, knocked Goodman down and attacked him with his antlers in what the veteran hunter called "15 seconds of hell." The deer ran a short distance and went down, and died after Goodman fired two more shots.

Soon Goodman started feeling dizzy and noticed his vest was soaked in blood.

So he reached his truck and drove to a hospital, where he received seven staples in his scalp and was treated for a slight concussion and bruises.

#33 ·
Hey I just remembered a friend of mine John S. about 10 years ago walked up on a doe he shot hours before reached down to grab her leg to start gutting and much to his surprise she kicked him and broke his arm! Thinking about it now he laughs about it but now throws a stick at them before approaching. Really not a bad idea.:surprised:

#34 ·
i poke em with a loaded gun :wink:

#36 ·
a swift kick ,huh?remind me to never play dead around you:surprised:

#38 ·
I like the question because I lost my first buck to a greedy hunter. However, I have less patience with these type of people as I get older and therefor would tend to try my best to advise the claimer that they should not pursue the dead deer tagging. If I thought things might end up in a fight or worse, I would walk away.

#39 ·
Well you promise not to be a terrorist scumbag that I shoot and I promise I wont kick you. :wink:

#40 ·
deal........

#41 · (Edited)
Due to the nature of the message I had posted here and the different views pressed from other areas I decide to recend my story. I did not think of the areas outside of my small town where things are handled a little differently than some others parts of the nation. I would think that my episode in New York would probably favor differently than in a town of 305 people in South Arkansas. I apologize to anyone who may have found my actions offensive or unethical.

#43 ·
I understand you being upset, but that's something I wouldn't have done. My luck and a law inforcement officer would have been looking my way and then I would be shelling out another kind of big bucks. This is why I can't hunt Ohio public lands, its just too many hunters.

#46 ·
I can say without hesitation I totally understand how you felt about losing your 8 pointer.
And I HOPE the meat you stold was your own meat because if it wasn't it's going to haunt you for a long long time
BUT then again If it wasn't I'm sure by now you'd have the law knocking on your door so you probably did find your meat at least
and it probably wasn't your best option but if we all put ourselves in your shoes at that very moment who knows if any of us would have handled it differently, especially if we knew it was our deer.
Now can you please explain how you managed to get the meat and cooler but not the head.

#48 ·
The problem is what message are you sending others, especially the young new hunters? Two wrongs don't make a right as previously stated. I hope that for the sake of someone getting hurt or killed over a stupid deer that brains prevail and allows common sense to just chalk it up to a stupid hunter. I hope the majority of hunters do not follow your course of action as its not worth it. There were two thefts involved and neither should be bragged about. We obviously disagree with one another on this but thats ok too. That's the view from here!HM

#49 ·
Well said huntingman, I don't agree with it either but I can relate to how it feels to get a deer taken from you,
although if it ever happens again I'd say just let it go... A deer isn't worth getting jailtime for or worse, possibly killed.

#51 ·
Arkansas Whitetailer, I appreciate your candid responce/action and I too know what it feels like as I had my first buck claimed by a very unethical hunter. In my case the buck was down, the hunter fired, but the hole was in the snow just above the dead buck. I know things across the country are handled in varing ways, I just didn't want young hunters getting into big time trouble with the law. thanks, HM

#52 ·
My approach would have been different had this been on public land. This basically happened at the edge of my 250 private acres joining my neighbor's 33 private acres. The blood pool was inside my property line. But anyway I understand what your saying.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.