Brand new to hunting - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Bow Hunting
Bow Hunting Discuss Bow Season topics

Old 11-23-2008, 04:58 PM

Dancingbear, my take several years ago was that Barnett crossbows were not in your top models, they may have improved. You know most times you get what you pay for. As for hunting this year, I really would wait and get the crossbow in the spring you may get a better sale price and spend the whole summer practicing with it. I know it hurts to wait, just a suggestion. You need to learn to shoot it and judge distances or use a range finder. You need some time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2008, 05:21 PM
Scrub Buck

HM, that's kind of how I'm leaning now anyway, except I want to get a bow as soon as I can and practice through the winter months. There's a spring turkey hunt, I'd like to get a few of those birds. (whatever the limit will be this coming spring)

Plus in the spring and summer it's hard to get a lot of practice time, that's my busiest time of year. Crossbow season ends Dec. 31, maybe I can pick up something after that.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:44 PM
Scrub Buck

okay first its nice to see that you are wanting to get out and start hunting. I would recommend using a rifle first and kill a couple deer with it first only because of the power and distance u can shoot. I have actually shot and killed a deer with a rifle and every other deer in the plot just looked around did not run out of the plot. With a rifle I would recommend shooting right into the front shoulder hopefully breaking both front shoulders and the deer will go 5 yards max. The farthest I would shoot is probably about 300 yards I personally don't know much about crossbows I have always used a regular compound but I would go for a rifle for a while.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:44 PM
Scrub Buck

I have been hunting with a parker crossbow for 5 years now. It has never given me any problems. I try to keep my shots in the 20 to 40 yard range and it is extremely accurate at those distances. I do prefer the red dot sight only because I don't think you need magnification at those distances. A couple things you may want to know, I can never see the impact placement of my shot. the bolt flies extremely fast. I always allow at least 30 minutes after the shot to start tracking because I am never possitive where I hit it. I also want to say after recovering the deer every shot was right where the red dot was placed. I started using Rage mechanicals this year and will never go back. They fly perfect off the crossbow and leave great blood trails for tracking. I would also recomend 150lb draw or better. I hope this helps. I am by no means an expert but definatley willing to share my experiance.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:58 PM
Scrub Buck

from reading im taking it that your stuck on getting a cross bow. now i dont know if ky seasons are like mi but if you opt into getting a compound you will max your time in the woods but its always good to hear that a lady is in the woods in friendly compition with her hubby