needing advice - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Bow Hunting
Bow Hunting Discuss Bow Season topics

Old 10-30-2008, 06:00 PM
B&C 100 Class

Default needing advice

Whats up buddies,

I'm having a problem the past couple of hunts and I know some of you more experienced hunters can help me out with it. Last weekend and again this morning I feel like I failed to move fast enough. I have never killed a deer with my bow, and I have kinda turned around to slow or stood up to slow and by the time I'm set to draw back the buck is out of my 30 yard range. Can anybody give me a boost ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2008, 06:42 PM
B&C 100 Class

Here's how I try to be ready during bow season:

1.Always keep an arrow in the bow, ready to shoot.

2. During the time of day when deer are moving, I try to stand up and hold my bow.

3. I try to anticipate the movement of the deer and draw my bow early. This way, I am ready. This can be easy or hard depending on the left off percentage of your bow. As the deer comes by I try to make a grunting noise to get it to stop. With the bow already draw I can then let the arrow fly. Sometimes this fails and the deer doesn't come within range which means I just repeat the process over.

4. It can help to place some scent around your stand that might help them stay around a bit longer to give you a few more attempts at a shot.

5. Hunting on the edge of a field can be a good idea. Many deer will move in and out of the woods/field while feeding. Deer also move along the edges of fields. Both these things will help you get more chances at having several shot oppurtunities.

Good Luck! Hope some of that helps!
Old 10-30-2008, 08:32 PM
B&C 180 Class

use an arrow rest that holds the arrow in place like a whisker biscuit etc..anticipate deer movement at the prime times early and late.i hold my bow and sometimes stand up during these periods.can you shoot sitting down,try practicing this shot,less movement involved,however some situations and stands dont allow ya to shoot sitting down.try moving when the deer field of view is blocked by trees or brush and move SLOWLY
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 10-30-2008, 09:36 PM
B&C 100 Class

I stand up during the times deer move most also. Shoot your bow alot at home or wherever you practice. This will help you hold it back for longer periods of time with out compromising your shooting ability. This way you can draw early when the deer is behind a tree or brush even if its not quite close enough or you don't have the shot you want. I also go ahead and stand up when I think I hear one walking sometimes its a squirrel but better safe than sorry.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:16 PM
B&C 100 Class

I appreciate you guys help... This morning there was no hearing him... he just appeared... but he was looking right at me and i couldnt stand up or draw back but i guess i have learned to already be standing up thanks to ya'll I'm gonna try it in the morning if i get a shot at the one i saw today i'm gonna lay hiown... i'll let ya know...
Old 10-31-2008, 05:53 AM
B&C 100 Class

What kind of stand are you using and how high up are you?
Old 10-31-2008, 08:29 PM
B&C 100 Class

Default Hide it

This year I put a lock on in a new spot, I thought it was good. I trimmed a few limbs. I hunted it twice and my dad hunted it once and we both got busted before the deer got close enough to shoot. They were seeing us way early through even through the thick stuff. We figured out the problem was the stand stuck out, a big dark spot in a tree that usually aint there. We moved it about thirty yards to a group of four trees that were really close together and we haven't got busted since. Make sure the location of the stand isn't obvious and doesn't stick out. It may be hard o find that perfect location but it will pay off if you do.
Old 11-01-2008, 07:30 AM

Don't forget, a call might stop him in his tracks long enough to give you a shot.
if he's bounding off give a grunt or two and see what happens.

Old 11-01-2008, 12:15 PM
B&C 180 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy A View Post
I appreciate you guys help... This morning there was no hearing him... he just appeared... but he was looking right at me and i couldnt stand up or draw back but i guess i have learned to already be standing up thanks to ya'll I'm gonna try it in the morning if i get a shot at the one i saw today i'm gonna lay hiown... i'll let ya know...
thats whats know as "getting busted" happens to us all.watch your scent stream and trail.he probably smelled ya and wanted to see what he smelled
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 11-01-2008, 12:54 PM
ronn

practice shooting sitting down. i was sitting when i got both my bear and my turkey with a bow.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote