need advice up in canada - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Bow Hunting
Bow Hunting Discuss Bow Season topics

Old 10-19-2008, 09:09 AM
Scrub Buck

Default need advice up in canada

I hunt a farm about 1 hour north of toronto canada. the farm is laid out as follows:

the immediate 50 acres behind the farmhouse is cropland(in soybeans this year. right along the back edge of the bean fields, it is a hardwoods ridgeline that drops down about 50-75 meters. the bottom of the ridgeline is all hardwood flats which eventually transitions to heavy cedars.

i know the bucks are bedding back in the cedars, and are going up to the beans to eat, we have had good luck in the hardwoods before and have always seen lots of deer. this year there is no sign back at our stands and we are not seeing them. we have spotted two medium bucks way back in the corner of the beans for the last couple monings even after first light.

we put a foodplot in the woods about a month ago, could this have spooked the deer from out little corner? what is the best way to figut out where these bucks are coming from and where theyr going?

i need help, sorry for the long post but i thought it would help paint a better picture.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2008, 03:14 PM

I think that a month has been long enough for the deer to adjust. Try not to hunt the actual food source, instead set back a ways if possible to catch moving deer as they move between food and bed areas. The ridge line may be a good morning setup because the thermals will carry your scent up and away. If you know where they are bedding don't get too close as you may scare them out completely. It may be easy to find trails on the ridgeline going up and down then go from there. Hope this helps.