Climbing tree stands - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Bow Hunting
Bow Hunting Discuss Bow Season topics

Old 10-02-2008, 10:06 AM
Scrub Buck

Default Climbing tree stands

I often use a climbing tree stand but have been too nervous to use one in a pine tree. Does anyone have any experienace with using one in a pine tree. Some people have told me its safe and others say no way. Any help out there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2008, 10:50 AM
B&C 160 Class

I have hunted out of pines without any safety issues. I don't like them though they are noisey and the sap can get all over.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:16 AM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckshot View Post
i have hunted out of pines without any safety issues. I don't like them though they are noisey and the sap can get all over.
i agree with you buckshot!!
Old 10-02-2008, 11:35 AM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
I have hunted out of pines without any safety issues. I don't like them though they are noisey and the sap can get all over.
The big prblem for me is the bark. It reminds me of shale. Your stand has to be one that really bites into the bark well. Yes noise is the other problem. You have to knock the loose bark off behind you because if you like fleece like me it acts like velco almost.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:40 AM
Scrub Buck

Default Pines

I have hunted out of both hardwood and pine trees; but the question is - what type of tree climber do you have? I have a locally produced climber which has teeth. It digs into the tree; I personally would not climb with a cable climber in soft and hard wood, but that is me.

Cautions must be used in rainy/wet weather. Here is North Carolina (Pine Belt area) it rains during the winter, so I hunt in the pines only because my climber bits into the softer bark (but I do use a safety harness).

Eric
Old 10-02-2008, 02:24 PM
Scrub Buck

Good point eric, Always wear the saftey harness when climbing or decending from the tree. I have a summit SS and I really like that stand.
Old 10-02-2008, 03:32 PM

I don't use climbers, but pines are my favorite tree. I like the natural scent available, I like the background provided, and simply knock off the big bark chunks. Usually you find them in a more moist soil area, swamp, lowlands ect that is where I prefer to hunt.
Old 10-02-2008, 04:12 PM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric.broom View Post
I have hunted out of both hardwood and pine trees; but the question is - what type of tree climber do you have? I have a locally produced climber which has teeth. It digs into the tree; I personally would not climb with a cable climber in soft and hard wood, but that is me.

Cautions must be used in rainy/wet weather. Here is North Carolina (Pine Belt area) it rains during the winter, so I hunt in the pines only because my climber bits into the softer bark (but I do use a safety harness).

Eric
Once again just my opinion. I think a blade type of climber would be better only because teeth tend to load up sometimes with bark. It does not have to be just a straight blade just not one with pointed teeth. Kind of comes down to preference.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:47 PM
B&C 120 Class

I used my summit once on a pine tree it wasn't bad. I had my safety harness on it was noisy climbing up but once I got settled it wasn't bad I killed a deer. But not my favorite it ranks up there with a scaley bark hickory tree of my least favorite to climb. I would really trust my summit on any tree. In my opinion best climber ever made.
Old 10-03-2008, 07:07 AM

I've never used a climber, strictly use a ladder stand now. I really like the ease of setting up and safety factor. Climbers look like a lot more work/strain to go up a tree??? Getting too old for that.