Climbing tree stands - Page 3 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Bow Hunting
Bow Hunting Discuss Bow Season topics

Old 07-13-2011, 03:45 PM
Scrub Buck

If a pine tree is the best option for the place I want to hunt I will climb the pine. Only reason I don't like pines is I hate the sap...especially if you climb it again the sap will get worse every time you go up and down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2011, 10:37 PM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator View Post
I love my summit vyper,easy to climb with and I feel safe when using it with a safty vest. The only problem I have is by the time I pack the stand and my gear to the tree Im sweaty.My only option is to pack in naked and dress before I climb but then the deer just run away laughin.Any suggestions on how to solve the problem.
I pack the viper in a day or two before the hunt and affix it at ground level to the tree. the day of the hunt, you just pack in your essentials, board the stand and climb. no sweat!
PSE 2006 FIRESTORM LITE #70
PSE 2009 TREESTAND GX #70
PSE 2010 1/2 AXE 6 #60
PSE 2011 EVO #70

The Devils Advocate

Revelation 22:17

Old 07-19-2011, 09:08 PM
B&C 120 Class

Thats great if the land you hunt is not public and has no traffic but you and a few others. Personally, I do this we have a considerable amount of fixed ladder stands, but i like to stick my climber and leave it in those spots where sometimes the ladder will not work due to the wind but with the climber being there I still have the option of hunting that same area. I love my climber especially to explore new areas , very little commitement other than carrying the stand in and out.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:17 AM

My old Trax America ladder stand was a back pack model. They went out of business or I would have several. I might only get 1-2 more years out of it. Usually I have 2-3 ladder stands out for the 9 day PA bow hunt. I tried a climber last year and just don't like them.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:14 PM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerless View Post
Thats great if the land you hunt is not public and has no traffic but you and a few others. Personally, I do this we have a considerable amount of fixed ladder stands, but i like to stick my climber and leave it in those spots where sometimes the ladder will not work due to the wind but with the climber being there I still have the option of hunting that same area. I love my climber especially to explore new areas , very little commitement other than carrying the stand in and out.
Actually, It is public. Its a conservation district and is open to the public up to the day the hunt begins.
PSE 2006 FIRESTORM LITE #70
PSE 2009 TREESTAND GX #70
PSE 2010 1/2 AXE 6 #60
PSE 2011 EVO #70

The Devils Advocate

Revelation 22:17

Old 10-30-2011, 08:05 AM
Scrub Buck

Default pine tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric.broom View Post
I have hunted out of both hardwood and pine trees; but the question is - what type of tree climber do you have? I have a locally produced climber which has teeth. It digs into the tree; I personally would not climb with a cable climber in soft and hard wood, but that is me.

Cautions must be used in rainy/wet weather. Here is North Carolina (Pine Belt area) it rains during the winter, so I hunt in the pines only because my climber bits into the softer bark (but I do use a safety harness).

Eric
I use a cable type treestand {SUMMIT} when coming down however the cable on the lower platform wants to hang up in the pine bark. I also hunt in the lowlands of N.C. AND upstate S.C. This is frustrating maybe the cable is stretched. Any ideas? Thanks.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:46 AM

With such a great deal my son got me on a new summit climber, I'm going to give it one more try. Hopefully, I learn quickly how to climb a tree.