Climbing tree stands - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Bow Hunting
Bow Hunting Discuss Bow Season topics

Old 10-03-2008, 07:55 AM
B&C 120 Class

I do not use climbers as well. I just do not feel safe in them regardless of what tree they are hanging off of. I only use ladder stands these days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2008, 08:23 AM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric.broom View Post
I have hunted out of both hardwood and pine trees; but the question is - what type of tree climber do you have? I have a locally produced climber which has teeth. It digs into the tree; I personally would not climb with a cable climber in soft and hard wood, but that is me.

Cautions must be used in rainy/wet weather. Here is North Carolina (Pine Belt area) it rains during the winter, so I hunt in the pines only because my climber bits into the softer bark (but I do use a safety harness).

Eric
The best stand I have is the Equalizer. At the present time I own 10 different stands. My other favorite is the Ol'Man with the longer cable for large trees. Others I own and like are Lone Wolf Alpha (great stand worth a look), API, North Star. Also a few others that I will not mention because they are for sale. The first three are great choices but if I had only one it would be the Equalizer, With all the option available for it it is buy far the safest, most comfortable, easy to use, quite, and once secured DOES NOT BUDGE stand I own. Not cheap but my life and comfort are worth it. You can find them on the web. Watch their video!
Old 10-07-2008, 09:48 AM
Scrub Buck

Just wondering if anyone had tried the Lone Wolf setup with climbing sticks vs. a climber. I have a summit climber. To me it seems like the sticks and hang on would be almost as efficient and would allow you to use more trees??

It's later than you think. <Grandpa Fink>
Old 10-07-2008, 12:13 PM
B&C 140 Class

I have never tried the Lone Wolf set up but I do use climbing sticks and hang on stands. I like them. They will give alot more flexibility on trees to hunt out of. Out in the county around here trees suitable for climbers are sometimes hard to find thanks to the logging industry. You can also get hid better using sticks and a hang on. I like being nestled up into limbs for cover. I do know people (who will remain nameless) who use the Lone Wolf set up religiously and say they can be in stand faster and quieter than using a climber. The Lone Wolf set up is made to pack together which makes it alot easier than packing a stand and 4 or 5 climbing sticks through the woods with all the other stuff I carry. All depends on what you're used to I suppose. Climbers and hangons both have their place. I use both depending on the situation......
Old 10-16-2008, 09:48 PM
B&C 100 Class

Default pines

I like pine trees because the soft bark lets the teeth of the stand sink in and feel like it is more secure. Also pine trees around here are usually tall, skinny, and very little limbs so you can go as high as you want. I have an ole man and a Tree Lounge and they both do fine on pine trees.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:10 PM
Scrub Buck

Location: Southwestern Wisconsin, along the Mississippi River

I use a lone wolf climber. It works fine in pine trees but the sap sucks. I get it all over my hands and clothes. I do like the natural sent of the trees though. I can smell it even after a hunt when I pull my stand back out.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:47 PM
B&C 100 Class

I love my summit vyper,easy to climb with and I feel safe when using it with a safty vest. The only problem I have is by the time I pack the stand and my gear to the tree Im sweaty.My only option is to pack in naked and dress before I climb but then the deer just run away laughin.Any suggestions on how to solve the problem.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:23 PM
B&C 100 Class

Several years ago I had a nice climber... but someone else decided they needed it more than me. What I am going to get this next year is a ladder stand. I realize they are heavier but I don't know how my climbing will be after shoulder surgery.

But on my uncles property I am trying to get him to build some elevated platforms that will be about 12 to 15 ft you know the 2x4 type that you drape around the top with burlap.

I have several ground blinds but you see much more from above the ground.

"Whitetail it's more than a passion, it's an addiction"

~~~~

Bowhunter and Handgun Hunter
Old 10-28-2008, 08:58 PM
Scrub Buck

yes I have though I prefer a hang on or my saddle in a pine tree. I read people saying that pine trees are noisy. I'm not sure exactly what they mean by that. I've never had a problem with noise and pine trees. Personally though, I prefer my saddel over anything. We have 6 ladder, 23 hang on, 2 blinds and 3 climber stands on our property and nothing beats my saddle. You can go anywhere to any spot and not worry about looking for that perfect tree and still stay in shooting range. I highly recommend one to anyone who is looking It's comfortable quite and less work than you think.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:17 PM
Scrub Buck

Smile OL'MAN Climber

I have not had any problems with my OL'MAN climbing Pines. It is a little noisy with the pine bark falling down but once I get situated I could sit for hours.