Deer Hunting Forums banner

Opening day

4K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  wmi 
#1 ·
:surprised:Well I went out opening day. Nice weather here in Indiana. This is my first season hunting deer from a stand and with a bow so it’s all new to me. I sat up in my stand for about 4 hours this morning. About 3 and ½ hours into the hunt I saw a doe just about 35 yards from my stand. I second guessed my distance and shot over her. I also didn’t know deer kind-a do this duck thing before they leap to run, which lowered her even more. I have to say though, my heart hasn’t beat like that for a while it was a great feeling and I can’t wait to go again! Even though I missed her and it was my first deer I have ever shot at with a bow It was great! I’m hooked! :thumbup:

#3 ·
Sounds like a perfect hunt to me :w00t: all but the missing part but that happens to all of us.
When a deer leaps, if you could lay a horizontal line down their back and another line along their belly
you would see how a deer can literally drop the back line even to the belly line moving the entire torso
almost to ground level, It's simply amazing!
With a little Patience and persistance you'll have your first Bow harvest. Don't forget the camera ... :biggrin:

#6 ·
first off welcome to the forum.What happened to you was what some call "jumping the string"BS fact is a deer is like a dragster.right before they take off at top speed they crouch down to "launch"themselves off just like field and track people.one article i read said they can drop as much as 10" 10 " thats a big change in your "pick a spot".Dont worry happens to everyone ,hey one day i missed 3 does ,all in the same group,one under,over ,under:crazy::crazy: they didnt even know i was shooting at them.I was happy that i picked the perfect ambush spot,even though my shooting was off i went home happy knowing that my tactics were solid

#7 ·
I used a Jennings Forked Lighting, 45#. Its my first bow, i dont have a lot of money so i bought this off a friend for 35$. I have found a new place to hunt. I have seen, "I am guessing" the same 4 doe and one buck like 4 or 5 different times. The place i am hunting is right next to a bean field. They walk down the middle and along the edge of the tree row. I have my stand just about in the middle along the row. Every time i go out i can never get a shot because they stay about 65+ yards away. Sense this is my first year i dont care if i get a doe or a buck, i just want to get one with my bow before the season ends. I have tried everything to get the closer, calls (no idea how to use) and scents. Any info on how to get them closer would be a HUG help....! =)

#9 ·
the does are a group they will stick together.i would try to move my stand closer the where you see them65 yrds away.they are using a entry/exit point find it.the only call i would use,since you dont know how to use them is a "can" call get a doe bleet call.works on both does and bucks.the scent s can be tricky you may spook em.whens the rut in your area?as you get closer to it try some wildlife research "golden estrus" on a foot pad walk away from your car a bit put the pad on with rubber gloves add the scent and walk in to your stand .go to the spot where you always see the deer walk around doing a figure eight then walk towards your stand hang the pad from a tree exactly where you want to take the shot.good luck.half the game is finding the deer ,you have done that

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.