!new bow hunter! - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Bow Hunting
Bow Hunting Discuss Bow Season topics

Old 10-17-2008, 06:37 PM
Scrub Buck

Good luck with the hunting. The main thing is be safe like everyone has said and take your time. When I am practicing I develope a step by step process in my mind and then also use this in the woods. Not every one would have the same steps but it is something to concetrate on and keep you a little more calm and will also help your shooting. Bow hunting to me is all about doing the exact same thing every time you shoot. My steps are as follows but you can think of your own to suit your self. 1) look at the target and figure out the angle of shot 2)draw back (when not being looked at) 3)make sure the grip is in my hand right 4)I anchor my release thumb on the back of my neck 5) look through my peep and find my target 6) fix the correct pin onto the smallest part of my target. 7) gently squeeze the trigger and let it fly. 8)listen for impact 9)watch my target closely. Alot people say that takes to long but it really doesnt take any longer and it forces you to take your time more. If you do the steps then you know that you have done everything just right to make an ethical shot. Good luck and happy hunting!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2008, 09:37 PM
B&C 180 Class

very good sequence ya got there
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 10-18-2008, 12:29 AM

most important, use whatever steps works for you! At some point they are automatic and smoothe. Good ino in your post.
Old 10-18-2008, 06:23 PM
Scrub Buck

Yeah you are right HM you have to do what works best per yourself. This little thought process just helps keep me focused. Seemed like before I started this I was rushing too much causing me to either miss the shot or not even get a shot at all.
Old 10-18-2008, 09:14 PM

Just had a new D-loop installed, now peep is out of alignment, and sights slightly off. Have two weeks to get things worked out.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:19 AM
B&C 180 Class

that stinks HM thats why i shoot year round
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 10-21-2008, 11:37 AM
Scrub Buck

All the above are great tips. I think you will find everyone very helpful on this site. I am still new to the site but look at it everyday since signing up. The only thing I wouldd add is after the shot. If you are fortunate enough to take a shot, make a note of exactly what spot you shot the deer and the last spot you saw the deer. This could make a big diffrence in recovering your trophy. Your first instinct will be to climb out of the tree right away and start your pursuit. Don't make that mistake. Remain still and quite and allow plenty of time for the deer to expire. It can be a heartbreaker to shoot the deer of a lifetime and realize you are pushing it. This could be the diffrence between recovering your trophy or crying about the trophy you were never able to find. Take it from someone who learned the hard way!