bow hunting and deer genetics - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Bow Hunting
Bow Hunting Discuss Bow Season topics

Old 07-16-2008, 11:05 PM
B&C 100 Class

Default bow hunting and deer genetics

i have a question about deer genetics. I was wondering if there was anyway i could help our deer genetics in our area other than mineral licks. i planted a deer plot also and i hope that helps. and also, Would it be a good idea to not shoot bucks for a couple years and help the deer population grow. what else can i do to up my deer population in a very good deer area, thick woods, creek feild,swamp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2008, 01:24 PM
B&C 140 Class

I don't know if there is anything you do to help genetics. What ya got...ya got. But you can help the overall helth of the herd through mineral licks...not salt....and supplemental feeding. Food plots are a great idea. I've read when using mineral licks.harvest your older does first. The young deer benefit most from the mineral you put out.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:35 PM
ronn

Thumbs up - I simply coludn't

- I simply coludn't go away your web site prior to suggesting that I really enjoyed the standard information a person provide in your guests? Is going to be back incessantly to inspect new posts

Last edited by Ronaldo; 04-19-2014 at 11:34 AM. Reason: ayIKKzmyVWa
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 02:41 PM
B&C 100 Class

Default cameras

thanks guys that really helped my question.i also have a question about trail cameras. i was hoping you guys have digital trail cameras and could give me some good quality cameras that are in the price range of 1-150 bucks. im only 15 so i dont have a job that can supply me with lump somes of money
Old 07-17-2008, 02:59 PM
ronn

I use the Moultrie I think its the 4.0. You can get one at wal-mart for $100. add batteries $10, 2 memory sd cards $40, and a chain and lock. I have 4 of these set ups and one stealth cam. the stealth cam package was around $260 and not worth the price. What state are you hunting in? That will tell us a base for genetic potential. Good to see young folks wanting to talk about and go hunting.
Old 07-17-2008, 03:42 PM
B&C 140 Class

I'll second the moultrie 4.0. Seems like a good cheap setup.
Old 07-17-2008, 03:46 PM

Here is a slightly different take on nutrition, you really will never know the true genetic potential until there is adequate nutritional food to give the bucks the oppertunity to send the extra minerals to the antlers. If the deer numbers/ratio of bucks and does is way out, doe reduction is necessary. When the deer density is such that good food is available it will take several years to see the genetics maximize. In PA where spikes,three,fours were the norm, now 6,8,10, and even a 12 pt was seen yesterday. We didn't import new deer just helped with nutrition, doe reduction and antler point restrictions by the state. The bucks never had the chance to maximize antlers as the food source was minimal in nutrirional support. Food plots may not be the only ingredient but certainly can't hurt in helping to maximize the potential of the bucks you do have. I do not know enough about the term let them go let them grow to agree/disagree with. If a nice buck comes my way in range I'm going to let the arrow fly!

Last edited by Hunting Man; 07-17-2008 at 08:57 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-17-2008, 04:14 PM
ronn

Angry you have got the bes

you have got the best scenery for your walk.....lucky you! One afoenrton, I will take my camera along so you can see our cornfields and flat Kansas land ;)I just noticed your occupation has you working in a coffee donut shop. Is that really hard for you avoiding those kinds of temptations? I am not sure I could have the will power ;) Haven't had a donut in forever.....!!

Last edited by Devaika; 04-19-2014 at 04:07 PM. Reason: AHrbfKrSRSn3
Old 07-17-2008, 07:05 PM

Welcome to the site. It's great to have younger outdoorsman be a part of the hunting world. About genetics, I always thought that "culling" bucks and does would help genetics over time. I always hear things like that on hunting shows about deer herd management, but I may be wrong.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:12 PM

some hunters may disagree but a whitetail deer's genetics are constant,,
meaning = a whitetail deer is a whitetail deer no matter where they come from BUT
their overall development is determined by their diet, climate and region.
In other words, what they eat determines how healthy they are and how big their antlers may grow...