Deer Hunting Forums banner

youth bows

8K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  Bow String Depot 
#1 ·
Im supposed to take my nephew to a bow camp this summer for 3 days.He loves archery .I bought him a cheapie bow to see if he liked it years ago.He does,and his new school has an archery program.I want to get him a real bow that he can grow up with and eventually hunt with.Ive looked online and I found Diamond edge by bowtech.It seems like the best bet it has adjustable draw length and poundage.another nice feature is as he grows i can have the limbs replaced for heavy draw for 50$.I checked out browning and hoyt.Anybody bought a youth bow recently?any suggestions ?recommendations.Dont worry Im taking him to the shop to get measured and try em out.I just want suggestions on brands and any experience with youth bows you may have had.thanks guys

G
#2 ·
I got my son a PSE deer hunter. He started out at 35 lbs and now its at 47 with room to go more. That is his first bow. good to start and he can hunt with it. Not sure how old or big your nephew is but its worth a look if only for the fact that he'll be able to use it for years. Its a real bow but made as a starter for younger people. I think it was like $250 with a dozen carbons, sights, quiver, at my bow shop.

#4 ·
the diamond goes for 300ish but its adjustable to 28' and you can have new limbs put on it for 50$ so it "grows"with you check this out Diamond Archery tell me what ya think.

#7 ·
i checked out the hoyt trykin? it was too big he's got like an 18-19 draw i think.I'll definitely get him remeasured .keep em coming guys all good stuff so far thanks:yes:

#9 ·
who knows maybe he'll get one of those growth spurts between now and then,Im taking all suggestions(easy now):lol:

#11 · (Edited)
How tall is your nephew Joel? and do you have any idea what he weighs?
an easy way to determine his proper draw length is to measure his Span from middle finger tip to middle finger tip,
arms spread wide (stand naturally no stretching) and then divide that measurement by 2.5 the results will be his draw length.

#17 ·
Many States have minimum draw weight requirements for hunting deer so that's where you need to start. My son started with a PSE Nova bow many years ago and for the price of an entry level bow I have no negative comments. Best advice, check out everything on the market for the best bow for your money. With any bow it needs to be fitted to the shooter so places like Bass Pro, Cabelas can help you fit the bow to the youngster. Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.