how high - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Bow Hunting
Bow Hunting Discuss Bow Season topics

Old 02-08-2008, 03:31 PM

15' max, its worked for me for a very long time.This is for a bow stand. A gun hunter may elect to use the stairway to heaven ladder stand as the height isn't as critical. An archer will dramatically reduce the kill zone by going too high. If you don't spend hours at the practice range you have no business limiting your kill zone by going up over 20'. It just not good ethics. Wounded deer happen to the best of us, increasing the potential of a poor archery hit by climbing to high makes no sense to me. Experienced, great shooters void the above, the rest of us please use common sense!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2008, 05:45 PM
B&C 160 Class

Sounds like an expert.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:44 PM
ronn

Hunting man, I asked a simple question. How high do you go. What you are implying I find insulting regarding being an ethical hunter. The steeper the angle the more you shoot like the target is closer not he other way around, so a 40 yard shot at say a 40 degree down angle you should use your 30 pin high. But if it works for you more power to you. Just don't denigrate others for doing what they know they can accomplish. Right equipment, right man, right shot.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 09:09 PM
B&C 160 Class

Hey Ronn, Heard alot about extreme heights lately with a lot of success. Seen some great footage in fact. Just like you said most shoots were almost straight down and through the back. Not a lot of angle there, a shot I would love and have begun to practice from lock-on stand at my uncles. But I do have that little fear of heights thing and really need a good harness before I try the climber.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:31 PM
ronn

Hey turtle I have never had to take a straight down shot but I understand its one of the hardest to make. maybe because straight down distance is irrelevant. In this Mountain country here in NH, being only ladder stand high puts you in direct view of the deer and your scent is closer to the ground. I have one of those range finders that have the angle compensator in them. The Bushnell elite 1500 with arc. Leupold makes one as well. It works very well. You'd be surprised what a difference angle makes. It is still wise to practice those shots no question. And then there is the canopy. You would think because you can not see through a tree looking at it horizontally that there are no holes in it. If you get above it and look more vertical you will find that there are lanes an arrow can go through. It does take some getting use to climbing that far up and that to takes practices. NEVER EVER go without a harness, I don't care if its only 5 ft, and pick a good tree. Don't under estimate the benifit of height.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:46 PM

Hey ronn, I've seen a range finder thingy with the angle compensator on Realtree Roadtrips w/ Michael Waddell. He also had a commercial with the same product. I don't know if it's the same one as yours but it looked like a real good tool for archery hunters.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:52 PM
ronn

When it first came out it was only the 1500 that had arc. now there is an 800 with arc. That's right he shot a deer or pig that was 50 yards out but used his 40 pin. why, because of the height he was above the target. had he been on the ground he of coursed used his 50 pin. The 1500 I have was a little pricey but MUCH less than the Leupold. the 800 should be even less.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:36 PM
B&C 160 Class

Yeah the height thing. As far as a Difficult shot I shoot every shot on the range before I ever attempt in the woods. The bow is what winds me down after work. I'm a truck driver fighting traffic all day then it's just me the arrow and the target till I relax enough to spend time with wife and kids. My cousin and I get together almost every weekend to bust small balloons from various yardages and angles, year round. It's not just practice, It's peace of mind.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:02 PM
B&C 160 Class

These range finders are a great tool, I have one as well. Hunting from these heights are NOT for the pie plate shooter. Most shots are under 20 yards and your target is about 4" in diameter. Placement is for a quartering away shot slipped between the spine and shoulder blade. This is a heart and main artery leading to the brain shot. Your deer will go less than 20 yards if that. I practice a lot from 5 to 60 yards every week. For the record I have not lost a deer in 15 years. I have lost deer, every hunter has or will if you hunt long enough. Tree stand height is a tool therefor use the right tool for the right job. Ethics start with a hunters expertise in thier shooting ability as well as knowledge of shot placement.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:22 PM
B&C 160 Class

Thought of one other thing about hunting high. A deer (jumps) a string by dropping vertically. If he jumps your string he is still toast.