haunted - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Bow Hunting
Bow Hunting Discuss Bow Season topics

Old 01-22-2008, 02:30 PM
Scrub Buck

Default haunted

want to share this.i didnt get my bow hunting vacation due to being ti busy at work,and my gunning season was very short so i went hunting where the giants are known to live in maine.last week in november a cold cold rain set in let up around 2pm so i was home and thought id make the hour long walk to the pole line where the great swamp is.got there sat on a hugh hill looking down over a 800 yard flat.wasnt there 15 minutes when the wind picked up blowing over my neck straight down into the pole line.so i moved down the hill to where the wind would go over me.it worked.i wasnt there 10 minutes looking down the line saw a true giant step out.it was like a movie.he turned and started coming right towards me.he was a good 300 yards out.maybe more but his horns were incredible as wide and tall as any ive ever seen.ive killed some great deer but never even knew maine had deer of this caliber.he was great he kept coming towards me and oh yah scope on him every step of the way.when he got about 200 yards out he locked up looked right at me and was ready to go.he winded me for sure i thought its now or never touched of the 308 and down he went.got up headed into the swamp and i hit him again.sat there for a few went down to the spot and it was a hell of al ong ways.i stepped in the woods and there was blood like you never seen before.the great buck jumpped up not 30 yards in front of me i shot and down he went.he got up and ran like greased lightning.i back out came back later that night with lights and plenty of people we caught him in a bed blatting,he was off again.came back the next day with more help,jumped him again,and shot him again.im not a bad shot honest im not.the deer went so deep in the swamp you would have to see it to beleave it,the place is horrible.no more blood or anything it was incredible.the search did not end there.we lost him.looked everyday for 4 days faithfully.well this deer has haunted me since that day.i wake up thinking about him and fall to sleep thinking about him.my guestion to you guys,and gals is this.am i crazy has anyone ever had something like that bother you?oh beleave me i sure wish i would have totally missed the giant,but i didnt and it burns me.i cant wait for next bow season to get in there and hang a stand.thanks for reading this and happy hunting.