Help Spooked a Big Buck! - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Bow Hunting
Bow Hunting Discuss Bow Season topics

Old 11-07-2013, 07:39 PM
Scrub Buck

Default Help Spooked a Big Buck!

I've been working my tail off trying to get good shots on some big does on my 10 acres. They keep getting just out of range and I cant get them in close. I've also been seeing huge buck tracks, biggest tracks I've ever seen and about 3 weeks ago started seeing his scrapes in my field. I set up my stand just off one and have been hunting it off and on since. I finally saw this buck tonight and he was coming straight at me from behind my stand...go figure! I cleared most my shooting lanes in front of me and only had one behind me...I know stupid! Anyways he was walking perfectly, directly into that lane I drew back and grunted as he entered the lane. I couldn't believe it he looked at me and never broke stride just kept walking! I wanted to shoot but held back in fear of only wounding him. He stopped and only gave me a gut or butt shot. Then he continued to the other side of my tree. To get a shot on the other side I had to release my draw and in doing so I hit my arrow and made some noise!!! He bolted 10 feet straight away from me then directly to my right into my wood line. Once he got in he stopped running so I tried calling him back. He turned around started heading back but wouldn't come out of the woods. What do you guys think will he come back? I am so frustrated right now after all the hard work!! Hope I didn't wreck the spot!! Time for some whiskey...STRAIGHT!
Old 11-11-2013, 02:58 PM
B&C 100 Class

Man that stinks, but it happens. Alot. You probably have a 40% chance or less he will come back. You could try terra ferma and hunt 25 yards left or right of that lane. I don't know sorry. Maybe his winding the doe's in the field for estrous. Good luck be safe.
Old 11-11-2013, 04:54 PM

Maybe, one never knows what goes on in a mature buck's head. Give the stand a rest for a couple of days then hit it again. He is advertising his scrapes, a little doe in heat where you want him to stop may give you an edge if your area is in the rut phase. I prefer bucks to walk past me on stand and most times that's how I set up. They are already looking past you and most times never know you are there. You have to know the wind direction and determine if your stand can be hunted at that time, makes a big difference. Good luck!
Old 11-12-2013, 12:33 PM
B&C 120 Class

I scared up a real nice buck last year. I was walking out if my stand as he was walking in and I don't think either one of us was really paying attention to where we were going cause i was only 15 yards from him and I don't know which one of us was more startled. About a month later in rut I shot him from my stand that in that same spot. Don't give up. When the ruts on he's only going to be thinking about one thing and it's not going to be you.