scouting public property - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Bow Hunting
Bow Hunting Discuss Bow Season topics

Old 01-15-2008, 05:25 PM
Scrub Buck

Default scouting public property

I don't have a choice other than to hunt public property, so I am wondering what is the best tactic to use so as not to have other hunters take my location as their own? Also wondering should I place bait in a pile or spread it out, I figured by spreading it out,the bait wouldn't be as noticable. I really need help on this, I have been hunting for (4) four years and still have not harvested a deer. PLease help me, the taste or rather lack there of venison is taunting me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2008, 07:48 PM

Well I really cant give you the best tactics on public land. I am lucky enough to have a couple areas of private land I can hunt. Good luck in trying to find some yourself. It is usually pretty hard unless you know somebody.

As far as bait I recommend that you always spread it. Deer like to browse around and eat and walk a little and eat some more. The main reason you should spread it is because it will help in preventing the spread of diseases. When you just make one big bait pile you have many different deer swapping slobber with other deer. That is how Cwd is often spread from deer to deer.

Stick with the deer hunting. When you get that first one you will see why it was well worth the wait and persistence. Good luck.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:42 PM
B&C 180 Class

I hunt a lot of public land and score with the game .so heres some tips.Pick a piece of land and get a good map..topousa and similar outfits will actually make you a map and suggest possible stand sites based on terrain features,for a small fee.Next get out there now.after the season is the best time to scout.the winter has wacked the vegatation and bugs.go and investigate all possible deer sanctuaries.dont worry bout spooking em .they will return and forget all about it by hunting season.DO NOT USE TACKS,TAPE OR ANY OTHER TRAIL MARKER,buy a gps and learn how to use it.try to park your car out of site .I like to park my car here and hunt over there.lots of guys drive around taking note of where others hunt and follow them in.try to throw them off your trail.If you can hang stands use the cheapest ones you can afford to have stolen.buy cables and locks.I prefer to use a climber and just pack it in then i hide it and chain it to the tree with steel 3/4 cable and master locks.As for bait we cant use it in NY so i cant help ya there.iLl glad give ya more tips if ya want.pm the location and i have a program called topo usa i can make you a map for free
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 01-16-2008, 08:36 AM
B&C 100 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel the signman View Post
I hunt a lot of public land and score with the game .so heres some tips.Pick a piece of land and get a good map..topousa and similar outfits will actually make you a map and suggest possible stand sites based on terrain features,for a small fee.Next get out there now.after the season is the best time to scout.the winter has wacked the vegatation and bugs.go and investigate all possible deer sanctuaries.dont worry bout spooking em .they will return and forget all about it by hunting season.DO NOT USE TACKS,TAPE OR ANY OTHER TRAIL MARKER,buy a gps and learn how to use it.try to park your car out of site .I like to park my car here and hunt over there.lots of guys drive around taking note of where others hunt and follow them in.try to throw them off your trail.If you can hang stands use the cheapest ones you can afford to have stolen.buy cables and locks.I prefer to use a climber and just pack it in then i hide it and chain it to the tree with steel 3/4 cable and master locks.As for bait we cant use it in NY so i cant help ya there.iLl glad give ya more tips if ya want.pm the location and i have a program called topo usa i can make you a map for free
joel pretty much sumed it all up with great advice. the only thing that i would add is to get as far from the road as practical as most hunters wont go more than a half mile or so from their truck.....keep the faith many good deer are taken on public land

Last edited by Berk; 01-16-2008 at 05:20 PM.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:29 PM

[quote=buckfever;8748

As far as bait I recommend that you always spread it. Deer like to browse around and eat and walk a little and eat some more. The main reason you should spread it is because it will help in preventing the spread of diseases. When you just make one big bait pile you have many different deer swapping slobber with other deer. That is how Cwd is often spread from deer to deer.

Stick with the deer hunting. When you get that first one you will see why it was well worth the wait and persistence. Good luck.[/quote]

Right on Buckfever!!
Old 01-16-2008, 03:37 PM

With time spent locating the hot spots I agree go in deep and use the other hunters to move deer in to you. After the first mile you probably won't have much company. Baiting is tricky on plublic lands as soon as the deer start making trails to the bait everyelse can find your spot. Do you have to bait? On every parcel of land there are a couple of hot spots, when you locate them set up on either the main trails for does, or try to locate smaller back trails with rubs/scrapes indicating buck use. Swamps are excellent areas to start with especially if you can find high ground with-in the swamp. Look for white oak groves, or other natural food sources to set up in. This is just my own thoughts, I'm not big on baiting or using dogs to hunt deer.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:11 PM
B&C 180 Class

.keep the pointers coming guys.Im gonna make a map of the area and if newhunter dont mind ill post it here and we can all go over the map together and come up with a hunting plan.If it goes well ill post where i hunt and do it again and then someone else can go.hows that sound guys?
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 01-16-2008, 11:22 PM

Sounds good to me, anything to help pass the winter blues.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:55 AM
Scrub Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel the signman View Post
.keep the pointers coming guys.Im gonna make a map of the area and if newhunter dont mind ill post it here and we can all go over the map together and come up with a hunting plan.If it goes well ill post where i hunt and do it again and then someone else can go.hows that sound guys?
Hey sounds great to me!!