Deer Hunting Forums banner

Mechanical Broad Heads

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  gfdeputy2 
#1 ·
Alright so here I go.

First got into bow hunting about 5-6 years ago. First broad heads were Rage and I killed 5 deer with them. 2 shots similar to the one below, 3 perfect. My concern was the weakness of the blades and deploying in my quiver (More of an annoyance). Last year, I decided to switch to the G5 T3's. I shot a 6 pointer at about 11 yards. I admit, the shot was about 1" higher than I would have liked, at a 20 ft. height shooting downward. Still should have hit vitals. Tracked him for 100 yards, very minimal blood even though the arrow was covered with really good blood. That brings me to this year. I am thinking of switching back to the Rage. Any opinions on the RAGE selections (i.e. chisel tip, hypodermic, etc.. I have been on Youtube, review sites, archery talk, etc. Can anyone on here testify for them? In my opinion, the Rage's have a huge wound channel and the G5's did not. I am not looking for other recommendations on broad heads other than personal experience with the Rage's.

Thanks for your help.

#2 ·
I shoot the Rage 2 blades w/ cut on contact
I love them have not had a deer go over a 100 yards furthest maybe went 70-75 yards
the buck in my avatar went maybe 20. All have left a massive blood trail
I would say stay away from the 3 Blades have heard some bad things about them also to eliminate the deployment in the quiver get the shock collars since using them I have not had an issue with that
good luck with what ever you decide

#3 ·
1st hand experience, Rage 3-blades are junk! I have seen the blades break free and our group has lost deer with the 3-blades. My son and a buddy are using 2-blade Rage heads this year so maybe I can give a good field report on those later. I'm not a fan of Rage heads and use Muzzy MX-3 heads.

#7 · (Edited)
Then comes my biggest bow kill at 49 yards
3 blade rocket hammer head slit the bucks throat with a 2" cut

Would the 2 blade have cut the throat :whistling:
Yes I have done it 1st Deer I ever shot with a Bow
Here is one of the pics have to try & find the others

#5 ·
Thanks Guys! I went out today and got the Rage Extremes 2 blade. The only real reason I bought them was the hype of the G5 T3's. The Rage's did the trick for me on all animals shot. Should have stuck with what I felt comfortable with. I just did not like the blades opening if I bumped my arrow, quiver, etc. The new shock collars feel very stable and keep the blade locked shut until impact. I think I am now ready to slay a deer on opening day! Good luck everyone.

#6 ·
The very best advice is to use what works for you. I just haven't had much positive results with the mechanical 3-blade heads. My son and good buddy wouldn't enter the woods without Rage broadheads. Muzzy MX3 100 gr heads are a very durable broadhead. Good luck to all this fall, hope everyone fills their tag(s)!!!!! Practice safety at all times and remember, the animals we hunt deserve that we take the very best shot or wait for another one even if it means the animal walks off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.