Deer Hunting Forums banner

Stalk, tree stand or blind?

4K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  flexj 
#1 ·
Stalk, tree stand or blind?
Which do you prefer?

Hutch

#4 ·
Every deer I have ever shot has been from the ground have a nice summit stand but I am an on the go guy with everything I do
I can't stand sitting for more then a couple hours + I see a lot more cool stuff stalking

#6 ·
For bow hunting, I use stand only- I have never stalked.
For rifle, I use stand or box stand mostly, but I do stalk hunt quite a bit too. Especially after a light rain or while it's misting, perfect time to go for a stalk.
I have hunted out of a blind, but I just don't prefer it for some reason. I am currently not using either one of my blinds.

#8 ·
Bow hunting is stand hunting and patience. Rifle and ML hunting I'm on the ground moving till late afternoon then sit last 1.5 hrs at a good trail or natural funnel. Bow hunting the rut I want full scent control and up in a stand. I use to stalk hunt everything but my success rate has gone up stand hunting in archery seasons.

#9 ·
I hunt out of a climber. I got a Summit Goliath last season, which has a little more room than most climbers. It is a lot more comfortable and allows me to be WAY more patient and tolerable to stay on stand all morning, come down for lunch, and set up for the afternoon. I also do not climb as high during archery as I do for gun. During archery, I set up at about 20 feet. During gun season, I get up to dang near 30 feet. It probably (at least for me) depends on where you hunt. I mainly hunt a military base with lots of hunting. Not as many bow hunters as gun hunters, so the deer are may less finicky.

#10 ·
I would like to stalk sometimes, But here in Fla. you will have a lot of problems on your hands unless your on private land and the only one there. If you would stalk around a WMA here you would get cussed at, shot at and most likely in a fist fight before the sun cleared the tree tops. And don't let them find what truck your driving either. Problems like this is why Ive almost given up hunting in my home state. Mosy of my hunting is in Ga. and NC. Ga is a private lease my friend owns and most times it just the two us hunting sometimes 3 at most. In NC its my stepdads land so its just me. He wont let anybody hunt there until Im done in early dec. Oh yea. and the reason for these problems aint that all the hunters in Fla. are A - - holes its that we have lost some much hunting land in the past few years what we do have is elbow to elbow

#11 ·
I would love to take a deer with my recurve from the ground. I have been trying for 4 seasons now with no luck. I have had much success from stands though. It really blows my mind how people can be successful on spot and stalk hunts with a bow. They are obviously better woodsmen than me. lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.